This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#21
JKatarn posted...
CursedPanther posted...
Crysis 1 took another 2 generations of top tier GPU to max out on 1080p and maintain a 60fps. Yet you didn't hear mongrels blaming and flaming Crytek for it being 'unoptimized' back in those days.

Apparently you were living under a rock and missed the whole 'but can it run Crysis?' meme. And while it was graphically advanced for the time, yes, Crysis also wasn't particularly well optimized, not making good use of cores/threads in particular.

Or maybe I just don't give a damn about some stupid memes.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#22
CursedPanther posted...
Crysis 1 took another 2 generations of top tier GPU to max out on 1080p and maintain a 60fps. Yet you didn't hear mongrels blaming and flaming Crytek for it being 'unoptimized' back in those days.

Yes you did. Literally, every f***ing person seemed to hate the game because "unoptimized" and "all graphics no gameplay".
It was actually very well optimized for single and dual core CPUs.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

CursedPanther
1 month ago#23
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Yes you did. Literally, every f***ing person seemed to hate the game because "unoptimized" and "all graphics no gameplay".

DarkZV2Beta posted...

So which was it? Make up your mind.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
1 month ago#24
as more processing power becomes widely available there is less incentive to gear towards weaker systems even if the actual "gains" only boil out to less time in development/QA (and thus less money spent on making the game)

I don't qualify budget constraints as "on purpose", generally.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#25
CursedPanther posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

DarkZV2Beta posted...

So which was it? Make up your mind.

Seriously? This is confusing you?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
1 month ago#26
For sure, look at the history of partnerships with nvidia or AMD to tie their game together with a new GPU, botching the competitor's card performance and being much weaker performance wise on old cards.
If you don't like microtransactions in full priced AAA games, vote with your wallet and don't buy those games.

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#27
CursedPanther posted...

Difference being the game actually looked good, it was the visual benchmark for the whole generation. The unoptimized games nowadays don't have any excuse to run as bad as they do.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
1 month ago#28
Yes, you are right TC. Also, annoying lack of proper optimization.

Best way is to compare games belonging to so-called "previous gen" getting later releases on PC.

For example, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 came out for console & PC back in 2014, I can max everything out at 4K / 60 fps no problem.

Bayonetta, released 2010 on console - then 2017 on PC and is visually a much less demanding game yet has a lot of frame drops. Dropped down to 2K, still. Why?

Sonic Generations, 2011, also maxes out fine for me on this set-up and no question, looks way better and has more detailed assets ( and Sonic moves faster ) than 2017's Sonic Forces, which I keep fingers crossed will deliver same performance on my parts.

CursedPanther
1 month ago#29
Tyranius2 posted...
CursedPanther posted...

Difference being the game actually looked good, it was the visual benchmark for the whole generation. The unoptimized games nowadays don't have any excuse to run as bad as they do.

Quite true.

Shame that Crytek no longer has a major role in the game developing industry since Crysis 3. It seems to survive mainly on the licensing of CryEngine and its maintenance work these days.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
1 month ago#30
I can't imagine 4k monitors and overpriced 10xx cards are a big part of the market. It would be interesting to see what the market share of 1070's is versus 970's. Game developers probably feel a bit held back in making next gen graphics if their games would be unplayable for a lot of people. Resolution is scalable though so they can give 1080p to the masses and 4k for the elite and the next 10+ years of gaming. I haven't seen much non-resolution graphics innovations lately, but you see stuff like vastly improved lip-synching technology, which I guess isn't based on hardware performance.

The long lifespan of PS4/Xbone is also creating a typical plateau.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived