This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#31
sfcalimari posted...
I can't imagine 4k monitors and overpriced 10xx cards are a big part of the market. It would be interesting to see what the market share of 1070's is versus 970's. Game developers probably feel a bit held back in making next gen graphics if their games would be unplayable for a lot of people. Resolution is scalable though so they can give 1080p to the masses and 4k for the elite and the next 10+ years of gaming. I haven't seen much non-resolution graphics innovations lately, but you see stuff like vastly improved lip-synching technology, which I guess isn't based on hardware performance.

The long lifespan of PS4/Xbone is also creating a typical plateau.

The 1060 6GB has been the PC community favorite for a while now since the 970, and the '3.5GB VRAM' incident surprised a lot of the green team users that got rid of them fast. The price drive-up is due to the miners hording the supplies everywhere earlier this year, but it has been slowly returning to normal in the last couple of months.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#32
They aren't purposefully coding to make the games more demanding, but they aren't spending the resources on proper optimizations

It's in a 3rd party's studios interest to have the game running on as old hardware as possible for maximum sales
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#33
Terrorknight3 posted...
Just so new version of video card can sell?

I mean graphics have reached a plateau and I don't see a lot of games in 2017 that looks better than the Witcher 3.

Yet newer games always need the current hard-ware to get 60+ FPS in max settings.

.........buddy, you're kidding right?

Remember how your teachers or peers would say "There are no stupid questions =)" ? There are some really stupid questions, this is one of them.

There two main reasons for requiring more GPU power: resolution increases (VR and 4K as examples), and more s*** on the screen.

Do you honestly think that developers think to themselves "hurdurdurderpy lets bloat up the s*** on the screen to sell graphic cards!" instead of "how can I improve this?"

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#34
And yet there's been nothing impressive these days but requirements keep steadily rising.

Also, when it comes to some developers, yes, they do think like you described. Remember the batman games where devs were pretty much being paid off by nvidia to use Physx and then later Gameworks?
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Chargers_31

Chargers_31
2 months ago#35
Unless they are partnered with the hardware companies, why would a company want to exclude people with poor hardware from buying their game?
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SDSU-DANCE.gif

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#36
godplaysSNES posted...
They aren't purposefully coding to make the games more demanding, but they aren't spending the resources on proper optimizations

It's in a 3rd party's studios interest to have the game running on as old hardware as possible for maximum sales

</endthread>
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#37
they can bloat up the system requirements all they want, but the console specs aren't getting any better. so really, the system requirements are pretty much meaningless to me if it's a console port.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
2 months ago#38
Chargers_31 posted...
Unless they are partnered with the hardware companies, why would a company want to exclude people with poor hardware from buying their game?

It's geared practice toward those who desire the best.

So getting it to run on dated cards is no issue, but maxing it out is when it shouldn't be.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
1 month ago#39
CursedPanther posted...
sfcalimari posted...
I can't imagine 4k monitors and overpriced 10xx cards are a big part of the market. It would be interesting to see what the market share of 1070's is versus 970's. Game developers probably feel a bit held back in making next gen graphics if their games would be unplayable for a lot of people. Resolution is scalable though so they can give 1080p to the masses and 4k for the elite and the next 10+ years of gaming. I haven't seen much non-resolution graphics innovations lately, but you see stuff like vastly improved lip-synching technology, which I guess isn't based on hardware performance.

The long lifespan of PS4/Xbone is also creating a typical plateau.

The 1060 6GB has been the PC community favorite for a while now since the 970, and the '3.5GB VRAM' incident surprised a lot of the green team users that got rid of them fast. The price drive-up is due to the miners hording the supplies everywhere earlier this year, but it has been slowly returning to normal in the last couple of months.

1060 doesn't seem like a big enough jump in power from a 970 for me, I haven't had any trouble playing new games at 1080p with the 970.

I'd really like to know what the market share of things like the 1060/1070 is, as well as 4k gaming/TV's. All I could find seemed to point to 4k dominating the market at some point in the next 2-3 years but it's a niche thing right now due to expense and people being fine with their current HDTV's. Prices are really coming down though. Also probably a lot of desktop gamers thinking 4k is a bit of overkill for a 21" or 24" monitor.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#40
dennis941012 posted...
what new games requires better specs than witcher 3?

ARK PARK is probably the most demanding game right now. Star Citizen is probably in second place though.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived