This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to upgrade my GPU!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to upgrade my GPU!

User Info: CHABLO

CHABLO
1 month ago#1
I'm looking to upgrade my gpu. Now before you post about 1080 blah blah keep in mind my system is older.
Specs:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor 3.2Ghz
8GB DDR3 PC-3 10600U RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 2GB GPU
NVIDIA HighDef Audio
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Games I currently play:
WoW(WotLK/TBC)
Minecraft
Couple of clicker games on steam
AMSimulator
Sims 4
Elder Scrolls Legends
Hearthstone
Magic
All of the Roller Coaster Tycoons

I wanted to upgrade the GPU to something a little better but don't to bottle neck anything.
Was interested in an RX460 last month but never bit the bullet. What is your input?

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
1 month ago#2
Just buy as high as your budget supports. 1060 maybe
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: JVolz1982

JVolz1982
1 month ago#3
Knowing how much you're willing to spend would help.

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
1 month ago#4
Literally anything would be a massive upgrade over that gtx 420.

I recommend a 1050 or 1050ti.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
1 month ago#5
What is your PSU?

It is unlikely that you will be stepping up to anything that is a power hungry monster, but your current card has a very low max power draw.

Just keep that in mind when shopping for a new card.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: enderall

enderall
1 month ago#6
You only have few choices, and any current budget cards will be bottlenecked by that CPU. GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti, for AMD the only choice is the RX 560.
i3 6100, GIGABYTE Radeon Rx 480 8GB WINDFORCE, Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM Red LED, EVGA 600w White PSU, Toshiba 500 GB HD, Riotoro CR 480, GIGABYTE Intel H110

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#7
1050 or 1050 Ti
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#8
zhenghan posted...
1050 or 1050 Ti

+1
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
1 month ago#9
CHABLO posted...
NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 2GB GPU

That is one hell of an old card. Did you get it because of lol420 then never changed it out or what? Can't imagine using a geforce card that ends in 20..
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: Arnzillazor

Arnzillazor
1 month ago#10
-5xad0w- posted...
What is your PSU?

It is unlikely that you will be stepping up to anything that is a power hungry monster, but your current card has a very low max power draw.

Just keep that in mind when shopping for a new card.

I'm glad someone brought this up.

TC, when looking at video cards, don't look at PSU wattage. Check how many amps are on the 12v rail, as that is where your video card will draw from. Then, when shopping for a video card, most sites will display in amps what the minimum requirement is. If the site you're buying from doesn't list it, double-check the manufacturer's site. Google is helpful here as well.

In addition, I'd plan on upgrading that entire thing in the next few years. That processor's architecture is almost 9 years old. I'm stoked it's still working for what you need, though.

I won't recommend a video card as you haven't provided your power supply.
"Necessity is the mother of invention."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I want to upgrade my GPU!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived