This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller really that bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

User Info: -youremom

-youremom
2 months ago#1
Want to get a dedicated PC controller but no one ever talks about the Steam controller?

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#2
The Steam controller is a swiss army knife of a controller. Some people just want a knife.

Basically it's a fine controller if you're willing to get used to the touch pads and make (or find) and use controller profiles for every game you play. If you're one of those who would prefer things just work without you having to do anything though, then just get an Xbone controller or something.

I'd say that there are certain games that the Steam controller actually does better than an Xbone controller (if you're willing to get used to it) and other game types that really don't do as well (you can still play them, just that you'd feel like you're a bit handicapped)

For example: I wouldn't want to play a twin stick shooter on the Steam Controller. I COULD, but the lack of a 2nd analog stick makes it more challenging than it needs to be.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
2 months ago#3
it has a very niche purpose .. and that is playing games that are better with a mouse and keyboard serviceably without a mouse or keyboard.

so yeh it's bad.. because controller games are better with any other controller.. and mouse/keyboard games are better with a mouse/keyboard.. the steam controller is good if you need to play a mouse/keyboard game from a couch .. so if that's you then pick one up , but i'd still pick up a ds4 or xbone controller too

User Info: Somato

Somato
2 months ago#4
arleas posted...
The Steam controller is a swiss army knife of a controller. Some people just want a knife.

Basically it's a fine controller if you're willing to get used to the touch pads and make (or find) and use controller profiles for every game you play. If you're one of those who would prefer things just work without you having to do anything though, then just get an Xbone controller or something.

I'd say that there are certain games that the Steam controller actually does better than an Xbone controller (if you're willing to get used to it) and other game types that really don't do as well (you can still play them, just that you'd feel like you're a bit handicapped)

For example: I wouldn't want to play a twin stick shooter on the Steam Controller. I COULD, but the lack of a 2nd analog stick makes it more challenging than it needs to be.

^ very much this.
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf
Depending on what kind of games you play, it can be a blessing in disguise.

I've been playing through Dragon Age 1 and 2 with it, and its a blast. Especially when you get into the deeper aspects of customization.
Brawl-FC-1203-8953-0974 (X40)
"Help!!! I'm being attacked by white transparent ninjas!" - pipeman

User Info: desert_santa

desert_santa
2 months ago#6
Eh, it's good and bad.

I'm grateful it exists though as there are some Steam games that are not compatible with any regular controllers.
It's not about the hardware in your hands, it's the software in your hearts.
(message deleted)

User Info: red_robin

red_robin
2 months ago#8
I love it. But that's mostly because I hate using a mouse and keyboard from the couch, and have no interest in gaming on a monitor.

I use it for most games. Some games I'll grab my Xbox controller for still. But I've been using mostly the steam controller. No other controller is going to play baldurs gate without compromise. Or civilization. Or crusader kings.

I even use it for counterstrike with about the same accuracy and control I'll get with a mouse (took some practice and fiddling to find the right combination of using the trackpad along with motion control for aiming).

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
2 months ago#9
Hate the dual touchpads... Make it so just the right 'stick' is a touchpad and I'd have liked it a lot more. Keep the left as a joystick and bring back a dpad proper and it'd be my favorite possibly. I stick with my xb1 elite mostly these days but I own basically all the main controllers. DS4 would be great if it wasn't laggy on the touchpad (when wireless) and had better battery life.

Valve always has such great ideas but never really follows up on them with improved iterations... It's nice they don't mind experimenting but they seem to lose focus so fast and chase the next shiny thing they think of.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#10
DV8ingSources posted...
they seem to lose focus so fast and chase the next shiny thing they think of.

Yeah, it's probably the flat hierarchy causing that...but if they had a traditional structure I doubt the controller would have been made at all (or it would have been made and would have looked like a clone of every other controller save for maybe 1 feature)
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived