This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller really that bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
1 month ago#11
wentzelot posted...
it has a very niche purpose .. and that is playing games that only support a mouse and keyboard serviceably without a mouse or keyboard.

Fixed.

The Steam controller is great at what it does, but with more and more games including Xinput support natively, it's mainly for older titles or titles that, for whatever reason, cater/pander to the Master Race mindset.

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
1 month ago#12
kobalobasileus posted...
wentzelot posted...
it has a very niche purpose .. and that is playing games that only support a mouse and keyboard serviceably without a mouse or keyboard.

Fixed.

The Steam controller is great at what it does, but with more and more games including Xinput support natively, it's mainly for older titles or titles that, for whatever reason, cater/pander to the Master Race mindset.

true i guess your fix makes more sense .. although i'd argue the original statement still holds true for the most part.. like ff12.. with the steam controller, is still better than ff12 with a normal controller, but not as good as ff12 with a mouse+keyboard.. but these situations are rare

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
1 month ago#13
I would love to buy a steam controller if Valve would ship to canada with steam wallet. I have so much on steam that I would rather not pay for it out of pocket.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 || Surface Pro 2 i5.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
1 month ago#14
I found it useful on old 90's PC games that had no native controller support but that was about it. It was pretty bad for trying to play modern games on like Rise of Tomb Raider.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#15
I don't have one but I have friends who do and most say its good for some games but still prefer the 360 or X1 controller over all. I should ask if they are even still using the steam controller or its just collecting dust.

I had thought about getting one but from what I have heard I am good with what I got.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#16
I use my Steam controller far more than the Xbox 360 controller I have, but there are a couple of games that refuse to acknowledge the steam controller at all (like playing the freebie oculus games over Revive).

I think those games are programmed to look for the Xbox 360 controller and nothing else though.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
I would also like to point out, for action games that lean heavily on a right joystick for camera movement, if you prefer the touchpad, you can get a lot of better camera movement by changing the josystick to mouse movement. Made the tank mode in Arkham Knight function like a dream.
Brawl-FC-1203-8953-0974 (X40)
"Help!!! I'm being attacked by white transparent ninjas!" - pipeman

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
1 month ago#18
I've completely replaced my normal controllers with my Steam controller, even on games like CrossCode, which uses an aiming system like a twin stick shooter.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: Jonexe

Jonexe
1 month ago#19
I have one, and I love it. It's highly customizable and allows you to do things you normally could not do with a controller at all (or other devices, like using the gyro).

If you want to play Pillars of Eternity, then swap over to your brand new Raiden V, then switch over to story mode on Doom 20016, and finally then sit back and enjoy a game of Stellaris without ever switching inputs? It's wonderful. I love it for couch play, and I love it even more for when I'm travelling as you rarely have a proper desk in a hotel.

Using the Steam controller takes not only time to figure out how best you like it set up for a particular game (though community configs are usually awesome) but takes time to change the way you think about using a controller. For the first couple months I didn't think much of the gyro aiming... then I used it in Doom and realized it was like 80% of a mouse aim and light years ahead of using an analog stick. It's all about getting creative with your input methods and retraining your brain.

That said, it's not for everyone. If you just want a controller to play games that are designed for them... then just get the controller that's most comfortable in your hands.
"My life is a chip in your pile... ante up!"

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#20
Jonexe posted...
I have one, and I love it. It's highly customizable and allows you to do things you normally could not do with a controller at all (or other devices, like using the gyro).

If you want to play Pillars of Eternity, then swap over to your brand new Raiden V, then switch over to story mode on Doom 20016, and finally then sit back and enjoy a game of Stellaris without ever switching inputs? It's wonderful. I love it for couch play, and I love it even more for when I'm travelling as you rarely have a proper desk in a hotel.

Using the Steam controller takes not only time to figure out how best you like it set up for a particular game (though community configs are usually awesome) but takes time to change the way you think about using a controller. For the first couple months I didn't think much of the gyro aiming... then I used it in Doom and realized it was like 80% of a mouse aim and light years ahead of using an analog stick. It's all about getting creative with your input methods and retraining your brain.

That said, it's not for everyone. If you just want a controller to play games that are designed for them... then just get the controller that's most comfortable in your hands.

DS4 got gyro too and that helps with some precision aiming. Still not as good as good ole KB/M but its a nice substitute.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived