This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller really that bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 month ago#21
captsplatter_1 posted...
DS4 got gyro too and that helps with some precision aiming. Still not as good as good ole KB/M but its a nice substitute.

It's a little less accurate, and almost no games are actually programmed to use it.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#22
wizardmon posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
DS4 got gyro too and that helps with some precision aiming. Still not as good as good ole KB/M but its a nice substitute.

It's a little less accurate, and almost no games are actually programmed to use it.

Well ya and Big Picture mode can force it. Games I would only use a KB/M for is ones with many buttons, high use of the menus, RTS games, and highly competitive shooters. Anyways its better to have gyro than without. I found it helps with long distance shooting. Does't work for twitch shooting.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: ReeNoiP

ReeNoiP
1 month ago#23
I have one and it's decent enough. I mainly use it for playing RPGs, platformers, racing games and point and click games over my steam link, which works really well. It can handle third person action games, but I prefer either m&kb or a dualshock for anything where I need to aim. First person games are a no go for me.

The customization is nice, but usually it's a few quality of life things. I don't quite understand how people can use the gyro for more accurate aiming. It just feels odd to me.
---

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
1 month ago#24
its great if you want to use a touchpad instead of a mouse, you can play games that are unplayable with joysticks (like rts or strategy games). but its crap as a dedicated controller since the mousepad like joystick setting just doesn't offer the feel/resistance of a joystick, so in a game like dark souls or other 3rd person action games your camera control is all over the place.

its oddly good at precision aiming, say aim down sights in an FPS, but i'd say its still worse then a mouse there.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
1 month ago#25
It's the best controller I've ever used, bar none. But I utilize every bit of the customization it offers. A lot of people who want a controller just want something to turn on and just work. The steam controller DOES, but defaults are pretty unintuitive and not at all indicative of the experience you COULD be having with it. I think that's why it's gotten a bad rap, but the controller itself is better than any other I've used period
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

monkmith
1 month ago#26
daemon_dan posted...
It's the best controller I've ever used, bar none. But I utilize every bit of the customization it offers. A lot of people who want a controller just want something to turn on and just work. The steam controller DOES, but defaults are pretty unintuitive and not at all indicative of the experience you COULD be having with it. I think that's why it's gotten a bad rap, but the controller itself is better than any other I've used period

no amount of tinkering fixes the fact that most find a touchpad to be absolute crap in many gaming situations.

User Info: red_robin

red_robin
1 month ago#27
monkmith posted...
daemon_dan posted...

no amount of tinkering fixes the fact that most find a touchpad to be absolute crap in many gaming situations.

Honestly I'm guessing you haven't given it enough of a chance. It works great in action games like dark souls if you find the sensitivity you are comfortable with.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
1 month ago#28
monkmith posted...
daemon_dan posted...

I get the feeling you haven't used the controller from this comment. Because the touchpad is amazing for most camera controls, and combined with gyro, it's even better

Or you just didn't bother to figure out what works for you. Either way.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

monkmith
1 month ago#29
red_robin posted...
Honestly I'm guessing you haven't given it enough of a chance. It works great in action games like dark souls if you find the sensitivity you are comfortable with.

daemon_dan posted...

I get the feeling you haven't used the controller from this comment. Because the touchpad is amazing for most camera controls, and combined with gyro, it's even better

Or you just didn't bother to figure out what works for you. Either way.

i most recently put about 15 hours into shadows of war with the thing, fiddling with in game and steam overlay options to try to get the right d-pad feeling even remotely as comfortable as a regular stick. before that i spend about 10 hours doing the same with witcher 3 and maybe 2 hours with dark souls 3.

tried community settings, tried custom settings, looked up guides, nothing imparts the tactile feel of a joystick. closest was camera mode pad like joystick, and even then i'd end up spinning the camera way past where i meant to or just randomly at a diagonal angle.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#30
arleas posted...
The Steam controller is a swiss army knife of a controller. Some people just want a knife.

Basically it's a fine controller if you're willing to get used to the touch pads and make (or find) and use controller profiles for every game you play. If you're one of those who would prefer things just work without you having to do anything though, then just get an Xbone controller or something.

I'd say that there are certain games that the Steam controller actually does better than an Xbone controller (if you're willing to get used to it) and other game types that really don't do as well (you can still play them, just that you'd feel like you're a bit handicapped)

For example: I wouldn't want to play a twin stick shooter on the Steam Controller. I COULD, but the lack of a 2nd analog stick makes it more challenging than it needs to be.

I'd say that's a very accurate assessment based on my experience. I really wish it had the option to say pop out a touchpad and pop in another dedicated thumbstick/an actual d-pad etc. By trying to get the "best of both worlds" of input, it lands squarely in the middle, but it's probably the most configurable controller I've used (though I haven't bothered to do much/any customization, usually just use the default or community profiles). For certain games like Arkham Knight, the camera control just never feels right with the touchpad (feels very ratchety and resistant in the case of AK, opted to use mouse/keyboard instead).
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived