This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller really that bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

User Info: SgtInfinity

SgtInfinity
1 month ago#31
I was really let down by it. It felt like there was so much setup for something that was hardly any good.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
1 month ago#32
monkmith posted...
red_robin posted...
Honestly I'm guessing you haven't given it enough of a chance. It works great in action games like dark souls if you find the sensitivity you are comfortable with.

daemon_dan posted...

I get the feeling you haven't used the controller from this comment. Because the touchpad is amazing for most camera controls, and combined with gyro, it's even better

Or you just didn't bother to figure out what works for you. Either way.

i most recently put about 15 hours into shadows of war with the thing, fiddling with in game and steam overlay options to try to get the right d-pad feeling even remotely as comfortable as a regular stick. before that i spend about 10 hours doing the same with witcher 3 and maybe 2 hours with dark souls 3.

tried community settings, tried custom settings, looked up guides, nothing imparts the tactile feel of a joystick. closest was camera mode pad like joystick, and even then i'd end up spinning the camera way past where i meant to or just randomly at a diagonal angle.

You're not implementing gyro at all? Also to get the tactile feel you have to bump haptic feedback way up
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
1 month ago#33
daemon_dan posted...
monkmith posted...
red_robin posted...
Honestly I'm guessing you haven't given it enough of a chance. It works great in action games like dark souls if you find the sensitivity you are comfortable with.

daemon_dan posted...

I get the feeling you haven't used the controller from this comment. Because the touchpad is amazing for most camera controls, and combined with gyro, it's even better

Or you just didn't bother to figure out what works for you. Either way.

i most recently put about 15 hours into shadows of war with the thing, fiddling with in game and steam overlay options to try to get the right d-pad feeling even remotely as comfortable as a regular stick. before that i spend about 10 hours doing the same with witcher 3 and maybe 2 hours with dark souls 3.

tried community settings, tried custom settings, looked up guides, nothing imparts the tactile feel of a joystick. closest was camera mode pad like joystick, and even then i'd end up spinning the camera way past where i meant to or just randomly at a diagonal angle.

You're not implementing gyro at all? Also to get the tactile feel you have to bump haptic feedback way up

gyro is useful in some situations, like a racing game since you can use it as a wheel. but i've never found it useful for much else. i did try it for shadow of war bow use, but having to move the controller around to aim was annoying.

as for increasing haptics, well cranking them up didn't really fix the issue for me.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#34
JKatarn posted...
I really wish it had the option to say pop out a touchpad and pop in another dedicated thumbstick/an actual d-pad etc.

Ages ago when they announced they were going to support controller modding I thought that's what was going to happen. Like if you had a 3D printer you could print out the parts and away you go... of course that was how I imagined it anyway. Turned out the most "modding" that I saw was someone changing the battery door/buttons underneath the controller into a slightly different form.

Looking around a subreddit for making Steam controller mods, it's mostly "I painted my controller" type junk. WOO. Occasionally someone gets more in depth, but it requires soldering and a real knowledge of electronics.

But anyway, yeah...there are times when haptics doesn't cut it and you really want an actual D-Pad (like fighting games) though I imagine if you put enough work into it, you could get used to the touchpads. I doubt you'd be able to outclass anyone who has an actual D-pad though in games that rely heavily on it.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
1 month ago#35
It's a great controller but not a replacement to a standard controller.

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
1 month ago#36
It’s perfect for emulation and mapping hotkeys like save states and rewind.
yankees ws chizzamps
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller really that bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived