This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First Gaming PC - Need Help With Build

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First Gaming PC - Need Help With Build

User Info: Belgarion05

Belgarion05
1 month ago#1
So I'm finally going in on a gaming PC. I'm willing to spend about $1500 but would prefer to go lower. I'm leaning towards using a geforce gtx 1080 for the graphics card.

I want to be able to handle strategy games like Total War Warhammer and Civilization games, as well as open-world RPGs on ultra. Hopefully with youtube or browsing the internet on a second monitor.

The biggest problem I'm running into is choosing the CPU. I'm having a hard time determining if the games I want to play would really benefit from getting an I7 / ryzen 7 1700. Some of my research is indicating that I would want a beefier CPU, but it seems like as you approach 1440p and up, the GPU is the limiting factor at the moment. I would like to avoid paying a lot more for a CPU if the performance increase is imperceptible.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

User Info: d209999

d209999
1 month ago#2
i7 and a 1070 would probably be a better balance. Do you actually possess a 1440p monitor?
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
1 month ago#3
7700k & 1080
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

Belgarion05
1 month ago#4
d209999 posted...
i7 and a 1070 would probably be a better balance. Do you actually possess a 1440p monitor?

No, it would be a future purchase in a few months. ill do a cost comparison on the 1070 v the 1080
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Belgarion05
1 month ago#5
Terantatek posted...
7700k & 1080

is it a good idea to go for the 770k when intel just released their 8th gen cpus?

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
1 month ago#6
Belgarion05 posted...
Terantatek posted...
7700k & 1080

is it a good idea to go for the 770k when intel just released their 8th gen cpus?

Yes sadly the 7700k performs better. Atleast from what I've read.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
1 month ago#7
I'm a core whore so between those two I'd go Ryzen.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First Gaming PC - Need Help With Build

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived