This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Elex is great

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Elex is great

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
1 month ago#21
Only a few minutes until I can download hopefully.

Piranha Bytes games are definitely a bit clunky but their atmosphere more than makes up for it. I like my exploration to both be rewarded and punished. No one does that better than these guys. You can have enemies that destroy you right next to the 'tutorial' areas and that makes the world so much more interesting. Cautiously optimistic about this entry but considering I actually quite enjoyed even Risen 2 which was almost universally panned, I'm sure I'll find plenty to like in this one.

I get that these games are clunky but you need to remember this is a team of no more than like 30 people building a huge 70+hour rpg. If they focused on graphics and animations, the world would have to be so much smaller and that's not a sacrifice I'd prefer them to make. It's okay to have games that don't appeal to everyone if the budget is small enough.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: JCoconut

JCoconut
1 month ago#22
BearShrooms posted...
Watching a video game is not the context in which video games are judged. At best you can say that it "looks great".

Except I can't say that because it "looks"s pretty mediocre :^)

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#23
It's a PB game, so definitely worth checking out
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#24
I always wanted to like these guys' games because exploring worlds is totally my thing but the junky gameplay always makes me drop them. From the reviews, it sounds like the gameplay might be even junkier in this game than in past titles.

I can understand making the world design your focus but can't they at least have one person whose job it is to make sure that the combat is enjoyable or at least tolerable?

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 month ago#25
AllGodsDie posted...
Looks like a poor man's elder scrolls game.

The only difference between a Piranha Bytes game and a Bethesda game is the Bethesda game sells 20 million copies.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#26
And PB games don't have level scaling
PB games are challenging
PB games combat is more than left-click to win
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: JCoconut

JCoconut
1 month ago#27
Hi C posted...
AllGodsDie posted...
Looks like a poor man's elder scrolls game.

The only difference between a Piranha Bytes game and a Bethesda game is the Bethesda game sells 20 million copies.

Well there are some minor differences like better mod support in Bethesda games and better fractions in PB games. But you are right in the sense that many people who enjoy PB games also enjoy Bethesda games. Bethesda games are very easy to get into though, they're made for everyone between 8 and 80. PB games need a different kind of audience. "Mature" is definitly the wrong word here, but they're not something you can play while fending off moms attempts to make you vacuum your f***ing room.

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
1 month ago#28
PB games feel more like open world Dark Souls than Elder Scrolls to me. I've always thought of Gothic 1&2 as Elder Scrolls done right, because the combat is fun, there's no level-scaling, and the world is carefully handcrafted. Also love the humor they put into all their games. They must still have many of the same designers from the beginning.
... even on Earth Mode.

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
1 month ago#29
Went ahead and bought it. The only bad reviews on Steam look like positives to me.
... even on Earth Mode.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#30
This topic smells of hardcore shilling.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Elex is great

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived