This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA killing off Visceral Games

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EA killing off Visceral Games

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#31
I came into this tread thinking "Wow, typical EA is being trash." Then I googled Visceral Games, and realized it was originally called "EA Redwood Shores". So this isn't really as evil as, at least, I thought it was. They didn't buy them out then turn around and kill them, they started out as an EA brand, got renamed, then EA closed them.

inb4 "EA Shill". I'm not saying what they did was a good thing. I'm just saying they didn't go out of there way to kill a company. It was their company to begin with.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#32
Hatsune_Miku posted...
I came into this tread thinking "Wow, typical EA is being trash." Then I googled Visceral Games, and realized it was originally called "EA Redwood Shores". So this isn't really as evil as, at least, I thought it was. They didn't buy them out then turn around and kill them, they started out as an EA brand, got renamed, then EA closed them.

inb4 "EA Shill". I'm not saying what they did was a good thing. I'm just saying they didn't go out of there way to kill a company. It was their company to begin with.

yeah i actually work near their headquarters, there's still EA brands around their building. i don't think they necessarily booted everyone out into the streets from Visceral, they probably are moving some people to this new studio and cutting out some of the creatives.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: hungry_zealot

hungry_zealot
1 month ago#33
Deathstroke33 posted...
I'm not an EA defender at all, but why should a company continue to support a studio that has really put out garbage over the last 20 years?

People allow their hatred of EA blind them to what really amounts to just a good business decision.

Garbage? What garbage have they been putting out for 30 years?

Their games aren't all perfect, but most are very good, great even. Dead Space 1 is still one of my favorite games of all time, 2 not being too far behind it. I still thought 3 was fun to play in spite of its flaws, just i'm a little sore there will be no conclusion to the story.

There were also two good Lord of the Rings games, 007 Agent Under Fire, both Godfather games, and Dante's Inferno which were all very enjoyable in spite of not being perfect. The studio has (now had) a lot of talent and I was looking forward to seeing how they would handle a Star Wars game.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#34
Visceral didn't make the first Godfather, they just did the blackhand editions or whatever for wii/ps3. Godfather II straight up stunk though.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#35
playboydojo posted...
And yet they refuse to put Zombie BioWare out of my misery.

Why would they? Anthem is still in the making and looks kinda promising so far.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: darkdragon_9600

darkdragon_9600
1 month ago#36
Besides Hardline (which sold, but wasn't all that great) and Dead Space 1, Visceral's games didn't reach the sales expectations. Apparently, Dead Space 2 didn't bring in a profit, Dante's Inferno was very niche and Dead Space 3....yeah.

I will miss Visceral and Dead Space, but the studio died because it didn't make money. If people wanted Dead Space, they should have bought Dead Space.
Only by cooking with tin foil can one get something so half-baked.
3DS FC: 0576 4794 4713

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#37
darkdragon_9600 posted...
If people wanted Dead Space, they should have bought Dead Space.

Many people did buy Dead Space. It's Call of Deadites: Marker Warfare that they didn't want to buy and which helped to contribute to those games "not reaching sales goals."

On that note, do we even have any clue what these sales goals/expectations were? I mean did the games need 2m sales to break even but the goals/expectations were 5m or what? Also, how much money was spent on working the Dead Space franchise against what was established in the first game, and possibly against the intent of Visceral, and how did that affect the break even and "expected" sales figures?

I rather imagine that for most of that, especially the purely internal stuff, we'll never know, and as such levying all the blame on consumers seems a bit silly.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#38
darkdragon_9600 posted...
If people wanted Dead Space, they should have bought Dead Space.

EA said the game needed to ship 5 million units to be profitable. Which was never gonna happen for a niche horror game, no matter how many third person cover based human murder sections they added in. Or microtransactions.

But therein lies the point. Dead Space 2 sold 4 million units and was a "commercial failure." If your game shifts 4 million copies and can't turn a profit, your company is grossly mis-managed.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#39
Dragon Nexus posted...
If your game shifts 4 million copies and can't turn a profit, your company is grossly mis-managed.

Indeed. I remember 200,000 being a big deal back in the early 1990s. That some genres have less of a market than others doesn't mean they aren't worth it; it means they need to have sane budgets.

The worst thing about what I read about their project is that (perhaps untrue) it sounded like it was going to be a mostly single player affair and EA decided it needed multiplayer and micro-transactions. Just... ugh. I really can't express my disgust enough how they lied about supporting Andromeda and only care about their multiplayer milking.

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#40
Voxwik posted...
The worst thing about what I read about their project is that (perhaps untrue) it sounded like it was going to be a mostly single player affair and EA decided it needed multiplayer and micro-transactions.

Based on EA's quote after shuttering Visceral, it doesn't surprise me.

EA's nonsense PR BS
“In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

Which just says to me "We've done a lot of focus tests with 12 year old boys and they want multiplayer and co-op and it has to be a shooter like one of them call of duty games "what my big brother plays" and they like microtransactions "cos mum doesn't know what I'm spending."" and so on and so on.

Never mind focus testing the game with people who, for example, liked Knights of the Old Republic, maybe. Or just single player gamers in general.

If you ask people "What do you want?" the answer will usually be "Something like this product I like". And what's the net result of that? You make a copy of the product they like and they say "Thanks, but I've already got some of the product I like."

You don't become a leader by following.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EA killing off Visceral Games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived