This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to setup Wireless security, small help please

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to setup Wireless security, small help please

User Info: Metroid_Lover

Metroid_Lover
2 months ago#1
Trying to help a friend setup there Wireless security on there router, but hit a small snag.

I have these options to set Wireless security up, but not sure what one to select for there devices.
They have: Nintendo 3DS (original, they might upgrade to 3DS XL later), Kindle Fire HD, and a Nintendo Switch

I can select on the router:
* WPA - WPA2-Personal
* WPA-Personal
* WPA2-Personal
* WEP
* OFF

Obviously not selecting 'off'

From what I can tell on the official website they say these support this type:
3DS = WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) and WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
N-Switch = WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)
Kindle = ...still looking into, but might be WEP, and/or WPA2
The ONLY options that are the same are the 'WEP', but I read a lot online that's an obsolete security and I shouldn't use it.

I don't see settings like 'WPA2-PSK (AES)' on the router at all.

I'm also confused on if 'WPA-PSK(AES)' and 'WPA-Personal' are the same or not.
They both have 'WPA' in there name, but the ends are different so am confused on that as well.

Also, if anyone has any info on the 802.11x settings, that would also be great, because I'm confused on that also.

Thanks in advance!
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."

User Info: Metroid_Lover

Metroid_Lover
1 month ago#2
Can someone please help me understand this?
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
1 month ago#3
So, what's the router brand and model?

Edit: Nintendo Switch and the 3DS are both compatible with WPA2, and the Kindle is compatible with WPA2-AES. Try WPA2 out and see if the Kindle can connect. WPA2 is the safest of all of them anyways, so it'd be the best bet. It depends if that router is WPA2-AES or WPA2-TKIP.

It shouldn't take long to try them all out anyways, but WPA2 would be the best bet.

As for 802.11, it's a set of protocols that allow for different speeds of wi-fi. Depending on the letter at the end, it'll perform differently. Check this wiki page to see what wi-fi capabilities the router has.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Btw, google is your friend...
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG

User Info: Pitlord_Special

Pitlord_Special
1 month ago#4
WPA2-Personal AES is the setting that will be fastest/best performing so start there

Only reason to downgrade would be if any of the devices aren't able to connect

For the radio settings, wireless N is the fastest for 2.4 ghz. Wireless b and g are both obsolete and only needed if you have an old device that can't receive N. EDIT: looking it up, the 3ds only uses wireless g, even the new model (lol nintendo) so you'll need to run it in g/n mixed mode for that to work. There are 3 effective channels (typically 1,6 and 11), because the wifi signal is 20 mhz wide but each wifi channel is only 5 mhz, so the signal overlaps into multiple channels. Best bet is trial and error running a speed test on each of those 3 channels and pick the one that is fastest for you (I like fast.com since it's a lot lighter than speedtest.net). There might be a 40 mhz/wide channel mode but this increases the overlap even more and only recommended if you live somewhere with few to no neighboring networks.

If your wifi network overlaps someone else's, interference problems occur which will slow down the bandwidth and result in packet loss/spotty connection if you're playing online

If you have a dual band router, the 5ghz wifi will either be wireless N or wireless ac (the latter is faster). With this band, the signal only occupies one channel, and there are many more channels to choose from so interference issues are much less probable. Not all devices support 5ghz wifi (for example, the 3DS doesn't, but the Switch does) so those that can't support it, you will only see your 2.4 ghz network appear.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#5
Your first option is what you want.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#6
Or you can reset your router and use the default settings.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to setup Wireless security, small help please

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived