This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got a free GTX 1080 I want to put in older tower but it doesn't have 8 pin power

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got a free GTX 1080 I want to put in older tower but it doesn't have 8 pin power

User Info: djruden

djruden
1 month ago#11
Nah. Why would I steal something I don't really need all that much and that is going to ultimately cost me money to even use?

I have this thing and I just don't want it to go to waste.

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#12
It would be worth to put in the i5 system, I wouldn't bother with the Athlon.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#13
thelocalhentai posted...
If the rest of your specs are s***, there's really no point in putting that since just from this post, your current builds are just going to bottleneck that. If all your parts are older, then sell it, get a moderate GPU or just buy a new PSU.

Unless someone's hardware is so old that they'll actually get worse performance with a modern, high-end GPU than they would with a "moderate GPU" I honestly don't see the point to selling it.

Personally speaking, I'd rather use a high-end GPU that gives me a goal to upgrade to while also giving me plenty of overhead for maxing out GPU-only settings such as AA and AF, even if it means that it only tops out at 50% usage, than sell it off for a weaker one than might need to run at 110%+ to achieve the same frame rates with the same AA/AF/GPU-only settings maxed out.

That's not even getting into the question of whether or not power consumption and heat production compare between, for example, a GTX 560 running at 100% and a GTX 1080 running at 50%.

djruden posted...
2. HP ENVY 700-047c Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470, 12GB Memory - Radeon HD 8570 video card

Definitely use that one. Athlon 2's weren't all that good for gaming when they were new, and by the time of the Sandy Clam CPUs from Intel they were decrepit.

thelocalhentai posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
A quality 450W PSU would be enough for the 1080 and everything else
Dude's machine definitely doesn't have a quality PSU.

While you're probably correct you're not guaranteed to be correct as some companies have shipped prebuilt PCs with good PSUs in the past.

A more important concern, however, would be whether or not the TC actually can upgrade his PSU. A lot of companies that do prebuilt PCs also buy "custom" PSUs with connectors that don't work with conventional PSUs. Between the P3 and Wolfsdale architectures I've seen maybe two prebuilt PCs that had standard power supplies, and one of those was an "e-Tower" off-brand. All of the Compaq, Dell, HP, and so on prebuilts I've seen used nonstandard PSUs with modifications such as using extra 4-pin connectors or smaller-than-standard 20-pin connectors.

JKatarn posted...
djruden posted...
It's hard to explain but selling the card isn't an option based on the terms of acquiring it

It's stolen goods and you don't want it traced to you?

Or the person giving it to the TC expects that (s)he uses it. I mean if I gave someone a GTX 1080 I'd want guarantees that they'd actually use the damn thing rather than pawning it off.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
(message deleted)

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#15
lol stolen, he might have not but the other person did.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#16
Marikhen posted...
Or the person giving it to the TC expects that (s)he uses it. I mean if I gave someone a GTX 1080 I'd want guarantees that they'd actually use the damn thing rather than pawning it off.

Then why not simply say 'it was a gift, so it would be rude to sell it' - being weirdly cryptic screams 'stolen goods' to me.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
1 month ago#17
Marikhen posted...
Unless someone's hardware is so old that they'll actually get worse performance with a modern, high-end GPU than they would with a "moderate GPU" I honestly don't see the point to selling it.

Personally speaking, I'd rather use a high-end GPU that gives me a goal to upgrade to while also giving me plenty of overhead for maxing out GPU-only settings such as AA and AF, even if it means that it only tops out at 50% usage, than sell it off for a weaker one than might need to run at 110%+ to achieve the same frame rates with the same AA/AF/GPU-only settings maxed out.

That's not even getting into the question of whether or not power consumption and heat production compare between, for example, a GTX 560 running at 100% and a GTX 1080 running at 50%.
For regular dudes the just need to build around their system, selling the GPU for a lower end GPU, like a small form factor 1050 TI (which runs off the PCI slot), especially for running media on his TV.

All that while pocketing potentially around 500 dollars or maybe even buying a more modern computer. Makes sense to me.

User Info: Sage JJ

Sage JJ
1 month ago#18
TC may I ask how you got one? PM me if you dont want to say here. Im not expecting to get one but im still curious. I dont think you stole it btw.

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
1 month ago#19
Defo spend a bit of money on a quality PSU. If it doesn't have the necessary connectors, there are doubts that it has enough juice to run a 1080.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: djruden

djruden
1 month ago#20
Yea, I appreciate all the feedback here.

Right now I'm planning to buy a new 600w PSU probably. Or maybe a little stronger. Something like that tho. That will give me a chance to hook it up on my HP tower at least.

I'm also still considering building a new PC that is much nicer that this card would work much better in. I've never built a computer for myself but for the last year and a half I've worked in manufacturing and built like a thousand or more computers. Not necessarily tower PC's for home use but rather industrial grade stuff, rack mount servers, etc.

Since so many are wondering, the card was sort of perk of the job. It's used. Had some modifications on it I had to undo and put it back together the original way. I dunno if it works right even yet. Looks like it should. But because of it's state, it can't really be sold or anything anymore and I guess the ppl in charge are smart enough to not just throw nice things away even tho they can't really use it in any capacity anymore.

Assuming it works well when I get a new PSU, I'll look deeper into buying the rest of the components needed to build a nice new tower PC.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got a free GTX 1080 I want to put in older tower but it doesn't have 8 pin power

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived