This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

nvme ssd gaming performance

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. nvme ssd gaming performance

User Info: meshflesh

meshflesh
1 month ago#1
Hi. Im using a 1tb intel 600p nvme ssd.

When I load huge open world games such as gta v from it....Every 2 minutes or so I get a huge 30fps stutter. I move game to 7200 seagate enterprise HDD and problem dissapears.

Also when I run Demul(dreamcast emulator)..I get the same framedrops.

The common denominator is the intel 600p nvme.

So my question is,,,Does anybody else here on Gamefaqs run games off of their nvme ssd?? And if so,,what it your performance like in open world games??

Specs: processor:i7-5850k OC'd 4.4 ghz, ram:32 gb ddr4, gpu: 1080 ti founders
If the shoe fits wear it.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
1 month ago#2
My buddy runs Escape from Tarkov off an nvme SSD. He said the performance isn't much of a difference from his Samsung EVO 850 SSD. Doesn't really matter.
Ryzen 1600X @ 3.8Ghz | MSI B350 'Bazooka' | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200mhz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
1 month ago#3
Doesn't matter. It's just a different form factor.

I have a 960 evo can't really tell a difference. Unless you do a lot of writing/readable.
-

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#4
What is your motherboard?

Also, it appears the Intel 600p series is rather slow for a M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe SSD.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#5
lightningbugx posted...
What is your motherboard?

Also, it appears the Intel 600p series is rather slow for a M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe SSD.

even if it's "really slow" for an nvme SSD it should still be faster than a HDD
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: NeilJWD

NeilJWD
1 month ago#6
NeedMoreMoney posted...
Doesn't matter. It's just a different form factor.

I have a 960 evo can't really tell a difference. Unless you do a lot of writing/readable.

NVMe is massively different to a traditional SSD, i reckon you're thinking of the M2 connection, that is just a form factor.

NVMe is a lot faster than a standard SSD, but it barely makes a difference in gaming FPS. Certainly shouldnt be causing stuttors though TC.
ARGH! Someone gave me some goggles and a spork,
I don't know what the goggles do but I'm gouging my eyes out with the spork!
~Dudeboy

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#7
I couldn't tell the difference in Fallout 4 when playing it from either my 840 Pro or 950 Pro. I didn't do any objective testing/timing but load times weren't noticeably faster and texture pop didn't seem to improve either leading me to believe something else was the bottleneck (apparently there's a mod that uncaps your framerate during load screens which can help with load times so I'm assuming there's some level of setup needed beyond just grabbing the data)

That being said, neither seemed to cause any issues. Both seemed to run it equally well/bad. NVMe drives can get very hot and throttle though so it might be good to position a fan so that it's blowing on it.

What's going on in your case sounds like a vsync issue though, where when you drop below 60, even just to 59 fps, the framerate drops to 30. You have an nVidia card so my recommendation would be to disable in-game vsync, then turn on adaptive vsync in the nVidia control panel. This will keep you synced at 60 when you have higher fps to prevent tearing but when you drop below it will turn off. This might cause a bit of tearing during dips but your dips won't be nearly as bad.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
1 month ago#8
no big difference for casual use that I've noticed between my 850 evo and my 960 pro evo.

Boot times are similar
game load times are pretty much the same
opening and closing applications take a similar amount of time

The only time I've seen a significant difference is with copying and pasting large files and rendering videos.
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE (SLI) |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 1tb 960 PRO EVO M.2 SSD| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
Bench: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: Kad-Man

Kad-Man
1 month ago#9
Ratchetrockon posted...
no big difference for casual use that I've noticed between my 850 evo and my 960 pro evo.

Boot times are similar
game load times are pretty much the same
opening and closing applications take a similar amount of time

The only time I've seen a significant difference is with copying and pasting large files and rendering videos.

There will be a huge difference in load time if your 960pro is plugged into a ultra m.2 i go form bios to login in less then 1 second the windows logo literally flashes if you blink you miss it.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
1 month ago#10
I get fps issues in GTA V when using the menus or map, but never in game.

And you need to try another game besides GTA V and the emulator.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. nvme ssd gaming performance

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived