This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So done with Activision and EA

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So done with Activision and EA

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
1 month ago#1
After the stuff that got announced today, I'm not buying a single game by these companies for a while. Granted I haven't bought one of their games in a few years (unless Crash was Activison). Probably because they've stopped caring about making good games and focus more on making enticing micro-transactions.

I'll still play Ubisoft games because they haven't screwed up completely yet. Will definitely pick up South Park some time soon. They will probably follow suite though.

For those that don't know what happened:

Activision:
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

EA
https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
1 month ago#2
You know, I can't really blame EA for shutting down the studio responsible for Dead Space 3 and BF Hardline.

Activision, on the otherhand.... yeah, they can go to hell.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: boochy

boochy
1 month ago#3
That's cool. When I woke up this morning I was wondering what "bubbub01" was doing with Activision and EA. Thanks for letting us know.
PSN ID/Steam ID - DuckTalesLOL/Duck Tales LOL
Intel I7 5820k(4.4ghz)- 16GB Corsair Vengeance - EVGA 1080 TI - Acer Predator 27" 144hz Gsync monitor

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#4
boochy posted...
That's cool. When I woke up this morning I was wondering what "bubbub01" was doing with Activision and EA. Thanks for letting us know.

Chuckled.

Anyway, when I hear someone say "not buying from these companies for a while" it almost always translates to "they don't have products I want right now so I'm boycotting them until they do haha!!" which completely defeats the purpose. You may as well not even boycott then.

If you don't have the balls to skip a game or two you may have been interested in, then all you're doing is spouting empty words.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

bubbub01
1 month ago#5
Tyranius2 posted...
boochy posted...

Chuckled.

Anyway, when I hear someone say "not buying from these companies for a while" it almost always translates to "they don't have products I want right now so I'm boycotting them until they do haha!!" which completely defeats the purpose. You may as well not even boycott then.

If you don't have the balls to skip a game or two you may have been interested in, then all you're doing is spouting empty words.

I can't even think of a game I am interested in by them. I was interested in COD but the loot boxes plus the matchmaking stuff turned me off.

But yeah, you have a point. I'm really not interest in there stuff at all anymore so it's silly to say these things. I mean I thought about getting Destiny 2 to play with friends. Absolutely not doing that now. I don't know a game these companies are making where I'm like "wow that looks good I should buy that." Maybe the game Bioware announced last year? It still looked like Destiny a bit to me which has me disinterested

I guess the point I should of made was that this crap they've been doing is the main reason I stopped buying their games. For their multiplayer games (which is frankly almost all of their games), they care more about the microtransactions then having an experience where you can progress and unlock stuff, which would motivate you to pay. I don't see longevity in these purchases anymore if I don't purchase microtransactions/dlc, and honestly there isn't even that much when you buy that stuff. It's just a cycle that keeps you wanting to buy more.

Maybe this is why I like games like CSGO, League, and SFV (to some extnet). League and CSGO are only aesthetics in their micro-transactions. SFV has some unlockable characters, but a good majority can be unlocked in game (even the pricing on the characters is reasonable too). The whole point of these games is to improve and rank up. The point of these new breads of multiplayer games is to play for "fun" and by microtranasctions to be better or because they are "fun."

Like, if you look at the older CoD games, they were more about ranking up, unlocking items, doing challenges, prestiging, etc. Now it seems like a majority of that doesn't matter since they are locking better equipment behind a paywall.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
1 month ago#6
The only Activision game I've bought this year is Crash N'sane Trilogy on PS4 and only EA is Mass Effect Andromeda on PC. They don't even publish good games anymore, so it's easy to stop supporting them.
If you don't like microtransactions in full priced AAA games, vote with your wallet and don't buy those games.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#7
Tyranius2 posted...
"they don't have products I want right now so I'm boycotting them until they do haha!!" which completely defeats the purpose. You may as well not even boycott then.

I started out that way and then EA decided to help me by taking most of their games and putting it on their own client instead of Steam. Now when I go to buy games I don't have their products tempting me to purchase them since I almost never use Origin (and the vast majority of my origin library came from freebies).

But if EA starts making good games again and puts them on steam I might actually be tempted again. So far in the past few years that hasn't happened. I did buy Sims 3 on steam but regretted it almost instantly. I don't think I put more than an hour into it and that was before refunds were an option so I'm stuck with it. Oh well

https://i.imgur.com/WMEzuQU.png

Yep, just barely 1 hour.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

bubbub01
1 month ago#8
Jedi454 posted...
The only Activision game I've bought this year is Crash N'sane Trilogy on PS4 and only EA is Mass Effect Andromeda on PC. They don't even publish good games anymore, so it's easy to stop supporting them.

They're honestly just catering to the most casual of audiences. That's fine, it's a good business tactic. I don't understand why they are getting rid of the games for their core gamer audiences. There's only so much room in the market to appeal to casual gamers. You can make a profit by making games that actual gamers enjoy too.

Look at battleborn. That game failed hard because it tried to go into an already over-saturated market.

Look at Nier-Automata, that game went far above the expectations of Square and made money. There's definitely money to be made on core gamers. Not as much, but there's definitely money. There's only so much room in the casual market.

bubbub01
1 month ago#9
arleas posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
"they don't have products I want right now so I'm boycotting them until they do haha!!" which completely defeats the purpose. You may as well not even boycott then.

I started out that way and then EA decided to help me by taking most of their games and putting it on their own client instead of Steam. Now when I go to buy games I don't have their products tempting me to purchase them since I almost never use Origin (and the vast majority of my origin library came from freebies).

But if EA starts making good games again and puts them on steam I might actually be tempted again. So far in the past few years that hasn't happened. I did buy Sims 3 on steam but regretted it almost instantly. I don't think I put more than an hour into it and that was before refunds were an option so I'm stuck with it. Oh well

https://i.imgur.com/WMEzuQU.png

Yep, just barely 1 hour.

You could of refunded it when they introduced the policy. Rip lol.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#10
bubbub01 posted...
You could of refunded it when they introduced the policy. Rip lol.

I should have, but I wasn't thinking about the game at that time. I just remember starting it up, thinking it was a letdown from Sims 2 and then moving on.

Oh there was some other EA games I bought back when they did that humble bundle deal, but I told them to put the whole price to charity.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So done with Activision and EA

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived