This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vega 56 or GTX 1070?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Vega 56 or GTX 1070?

User Info: FlyinTonite

FlyinTonite
2 months ago#1
Working on a Ryzen build with the 1600 (non x) as my base. Should I stick with team red or is the 1070 a better buy?

I've also been looking at the 580 but I have a 1440p monitor so I think the 580 might not be enough for me.
Life is tough, like real tough, like tough plus tough times tough to the power of tough.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
2 months ago#2
Whatever of these 2 is cheaper. It also depends on it, if you care about accoustics, powerdraw and thermals. If yes, then gtx 1070 is the better answer.

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
2 months ago#3
Would wait for the non-reference models of Vega 56, if you are going to get one.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: lkman

lkman
2 months ago#4
You should compare your purchase with Vega 56 and 1070Ti, which will be launched in a week. Though the rumor is that it doesn't allow overclock.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
2 months ago#5
I'd recommend the Vega 56, but only if you can pick one up for a lower price than a GTX 1070.

You have access to Freesync and better DX12 performance (future proofing/ better long term performance).
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: Paragon21XX

Paragon21XX
2 months ago#6
lkman posted...
You should compare your purchase with Vega 56 and 1070Ti, which will be launched in a week. Though the rumor is that it doesn't allow overclock.

That would be impossible. What I could see happening though is Nvidia disallowing factory overclocks.
Hmm...

lkman
2 months ago#7
Paragon21XX posted...
lkman posted...

That would be impossible. What I could see happening though is Nvidia disallowing factory overclocks.

http://wccftech.com/geforce-gtx-1070-ti-aots-benchmarks/

coming from the source.

Now there have been rumors that the card will not be overclock-able. Word on the grape vine is that the clocks of this card are maintained at 1607 MHz base and 1683 MHz boost frequencies. This would result in a maximum compute performance of 8.1 TFLOPs at the given specifications. Most NVIDIA GPUs usually boost far higher than the rated turbo boost spec but if this is true it is possible that what you read is what you will get with the 1070 Ti – with no dynamic boost occurring over the rated spec.

User Info: Paragon21XX

Paragon21XX
2 months ago#8
lkman posted...
Paragon21XX posted...
lkman posted...

http://wccftech.com/geforce-gtx-1070-ti-aots-benchmarks/

coming from the source.

Now there have been rumors that the card will not be overclock-able. Word on the grape vine is that the clocks of this card are maintained at 1607 MHz base and 1683 MHz boost frequencies. This would result in a maximum compute performance of 8.1 TFLOPs at the given specifications. Most NVIDIA GPUs usually boost far higher than the rated turbo boost spec but if this is true it is possible that what you read is what you will get with the 1070 Ti – with no dynamic boost occurring over the rated spec.

Literally wccftech. You will hopefully soon learn that you should take their articles with a truckload of salt.

This article is a bit more honest about the situation:
http://www.pcgamer.com/you-might-not-be-able-to-overclock-nvidias-geforce-gtx-1070-ti/
Hmm...

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#9
Right this second I'd go for a 1070 without a second thought despite having a freesync monitor. It's over $500 for a reference 56, vs $500 for a reference B stock 1080, or a bit more for one with an aftermarket cooler. For that much money I'm getting the 1080 since it beats out the 64. You can also get a B stock 1070 hybrid for $460.

If the prices go back to where they should be once the after the aftermarket cards land they'll be easier to recommend and I definitely want a 64 to take advantage of my monitor, they just cost too much right now though.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

lkman
2 months ago#10
Paragon21XX posted...
This article is a bit more honest about the situation:
http://www.pcgamer.com/you-might-not-be-able-to-overclock-nvidias-geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

I had read the Chinese website from the article. It did say all GTX 1070Ti share the same clock speed regardless of the manufacturer you buy the card from. It said if you want better performance you could only manually overclock the card. It is very user unfriendly. But how to overclock the card now if the clock speed is locked by the Nvidia? They provided you solution that it could only be done at manufacturer level by means such as providing overclocking tools to bypass the restriction. But Nvidia is kinda strict on the matter as I read through different forums.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Vega 56 or GTX 1070?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived