This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old, Classic games such as Fallout 2

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Old, Classic games such as Fallout 2

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#11
kobalobasileus posted...
I honestly liked Fallout 1 better than the second one. It was a nice, compact game instead of a sprawling mess.

GTL581 posted...
Deus ex ... the series is now one of my favorites of the rpg genre.

No. Just stop.

Did you seriously cut up my post and put it back together say something entirely different than what i had originally written? I said the gothic series was one of my favorites in the genre. Good job, dingus.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#12
Huh, I actually found Deus Ex too clunky to play when it was *new.*

Also, as cool as the concept of leveling up your skills sounded on paper, it was ridiculous that at zero skill points my main character JC Deusex had a harder time aiming a rifle than the average toddler.

User Info: Ruppe21

Ruppe21
1 month ago#13
luigi33 posted...
Deus Ex is absolutely amazing though and its not even that clunky when compared to classic CRPG games liek Fallout 2 and BG

Deus ex 1 is clunky as hell nowadays while Baldur's gate and Fallout are still smooth to play.

User Info: TomatoDragon

TomatoDragon
1 month ago#14
The only game I can think of is Star Control 2.

I freaking love that game, I've probably put hundreds of hours or more into it over the many years sence I've discovered it. Never beat it once. I get to the final boss, get stuck on it, get bored, then play something else and forget about SC2.
(message deleted)

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
1 month ago#16
ElDudorino posted...
Also, as cool as the concept of leveling up your skills sounded on paper, it was ridiculous that at zero skill points my main character JC Deusex had a harder time aiming a rifle than the average toddler.

Yeah, RPG mechanics don't always blend so well with first person presentation. My theory is that third person cameras prime the mind to be ready for abstractions like that, whereas first person doesn't. So it's harder to swallow s*** like a point blank shotgun to the skull that can fail to kill a man. Morrowind suffers from the same thing with its dice roll combat.

That said, I never found the game to be clunky and I appreciate the fact that it doesn't have a f***ing minigame for everything. I especially like the approach it took towards hacking---your hacking skill determines how long you're allowed in the system.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#17
DiviDude posted...
I appreciate the fact that it doesn't have a f***ing minigame for everything.

Oh Jesus, yes. Then again, back in those days nothing did. The whole concept of making the player navigate the same minigame every time they want to use a skill (but still gate it behind skill level anyway) is somewhat recent.
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#18
ElDudorino posted...
it was ridiculous that at zero skill points my main character JC Deusex had a harder time aiming a rifle than the average toddler.

It's not that ridiculous. Sniper training is really difficult. If you picked up a sniper rifle for the first time and tried to hit a target at 400 yards, you'd have as much of a hard time as a toddler would too.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
1 month ago#19
Might and Magic 7. I've completed 90% of the game multiple times, but getting past the final bit just takes that little bit more interest than I was able to give.

Ultima IV did hold the crown for me for the best part of 20 years, but I finally managed to beat it... I still have the book of notes and hints I made up over each attempt.

User Info: spud_almighty

spud_almighty
1 month ago#20
luigi33 posted...
Deus Ex is absolutely amazing though and its not even that clunky when compared to classic CRPG games liek Fallout 2 and BG

Deus Ex was considered clunky the day it was released. It also looked and controlled like a very dated game. Not much has changed. It isn't as great as people say it is. Fallout 2 is considerably more enjoyable in terms of technical execution.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Old, Classic games such as Fallout 2

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived