This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
1 month ago#1
https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/wow-elysium-lights-hope

Presented without comment.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: AC_Dragonfire

AC_Dragonfire
1 month ago#2
I'm glad it happened. f*** that server.

The blind prophet Alexensual was on to something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7en9u7TcVns

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#3
f*** those guys, and f*** Blizz for not just giving in to demand and hosting a few legacy realms themselves. Clearly the interest is there
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: AC_Dragonfire

AC_Dragonfire
1 month ago#4
Orestes417 posted...
f*** those guys, and f*** Blizz for not just giving in to demand and hosting a few legacy realms themselves. Clearly the interest is there

They don't want millions of their player-base to realize that the older versions were actually BETTER than the new crap. Vanilla, TBC, Wrath were amazing. Cataclysm came out and it was just like... Oh.... Ironforge is dead, along with Thunder Bluff and Undercity. Dalaran in Wrath was great with the portals, but putting the portals to everything inside Stormwind city or Ogrimmar was a really poor design choice.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#5
Here's the thing, if millions of players prefer the old version they'd still be making money hands over fist from the subs.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#6
Orestes417 posted...
Here's the thing, if millions of players prefer the old version they'd still be making money hands over fist from the subs.

But it would depopulate the newer one, splitting their player bases and possibly killing both games.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: d209999

d209999
1 month ago#7
Orestes417 posted...

Found your problem

Found another one
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#8
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

But it would depopulate the newer one, splitting their player bases and possibly killing both games.

Not necessarily. Depending on how drastically the gameplay and people interested in the content has shifted over the years it's entirely plausible that Blizzard could have multiple self-sustaining populations clustered around two or three, or even more, expansions.

I mean I might be interested in dinking around with World of Warcraft, for example, and I started during The Burning Crusade and would be interested in "experiencing" the end-game content as a "relative" mechanic/scenario and not just "let's get a bunch of L80s in i255 epics and /faceroll it." At the same time, however, I'm a "Wrath-baby" at heart thanks to my love of Death Knights, and every expansion past Wrath is verboten because of that.

It doesn't matter that Druids, which I also liked, are the new hero class by Pandafarm or that thanks to Blizzard screwing with leveling, itemization, and other factors while not rebalancing low-level content I could queue as a Shaman healer and be the best tank, healer, and DPS character, all at once, while running through a 5-man Scarlet Armory. I've just got zero interest in pretty much every other aspect of the expansions.

After a point there are going to be very few players who are interested in World of Warcraft's new/current content as well as willing to spend significant amounts of time playing in the older content, especially under older mechanics. Just look at people who love(d) playing Hunters and the various quality of life improvements they've gotten over the years.

How many players of Hunters would want to go back to the more limited pet stable sizes? The minimum gun/bow ranges? Having to farm mobs to get the "right" skills for your pets and increase the rank/level of those skills? Having to watch their mana? Having to listen to Rogues or Druids complain because you rolled on a weapon they wanted and it's "just" a stat stick for you?

Besides, that's even just presuming that Blizzard doesn't condense expansions the same way they, and other MMO publishers, condense servers. By shutting down low population expansion servers until only the most popular are available they might lose out on some revenue, but the player base will no longer be nearly so fragmented.

Not, mind you, that that last consideration means a damn thing to me. I'm one of those insane heathens that likes to play MMOs for the story and leveling experience, not for group play or raiding. I actually tend to get irritated when publishers shut down the low-population servers I'm playing on since I rather enjoy having fewer other players around to mess with my enjoyment of the game.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Another_Gamer

Another_Gamer
1 month ago#9
Lol, f*** 'em. There's no honor among thieves, so why anyone expected that people wouldn't f*** over the players and rest of the staff is beyond me. When you're engaging in what is an inherently criminal activity you're a complete fool if someone ripping you off is a surprise to you.
Like Star Wars? Join the Dark Jedi Brotherhood today!
http://join.djb.club/Y929jgg

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
1 month ago#10
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

how the hell would it destroy both games. they get money from both types of customers. you treat it like an another mmo. they could take server resources that been wasted on low populated realm. also the new game is been on a decline. so there is chances it may get old players back.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived