This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 month ago#11
Not shocking. Just about every WoW private server is corrupt and only exists to make money.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#12
I wouldn't play an unofficial server because I expect shenanigans like this, along with stability issues and low population (though it sounds like population wasn't an issue in this case).

It would be disingenuous for me to say that I'd subscribe for life to play an official legacy server especially since I no longer have the kind of unbroken free time slots that I had when I played WoW at launch and Burning Crusade but Blizzard would certainly get at least a bit of money out of me if they put up legacy servers and for sure I'm not the only one. How much could it really even cost them to execute?

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
1 month ago#13
Although I'd drop in for a few months to check out official legacy servers, I don't think anyone with the executive power at Activision-Blizzard actually cares about that sort of undertaking. They probably see it as a Yellow Wallpaper scenario where first players want a vanilla server, then they want a Burning Crusade server, then why can't they have a Wrath server, then they complain there's too few servers for each expansion, then they need to merge them when the community spike levels out, and then they ask why won't Activision-Blizzard fix the bugs and glaring balance issues in all of them that were patched in later expansions. They just wanna do what makes the most business sense on a buck-per-bang basis and look to the future rather than retreading old interests.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
1 month ago#14
Like others have said Blizzard would still get subscription fees from players playing on official legacy servers. But the real reason why it's not happening is because Blizzard wants their playerbase to buy the latest expansions.

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
1 month ago#15
su27Chaos posted...
how the hell would it destroy both games. they get money from both types of customers. you treat it like an another mmo.

And yet you don't see what the problem is? You're dividing the players that would otherwise be playing together.

See Everquest and Everquest 2 for why this is a terrible idea.

Blizzard already knows this which is why they force everyone onto the same game versions on all of their games if they want to play with each other. Imagine the utter chaos there would be if you could keep playing Overwatch with one patch while everyone else was on another one.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
1 month ago#16
What does Blizzard gain from doing time specific servers?
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#17
Increase in subs from some of the disgusted ex-players they've been hemorrhaging for the last half decade.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Another_Gamer

Another_Gamer
1 month ago#18
Orestes417 posted...
Increase in subs from some of the disgusted ex-players they've been hemorrhaging for the last half decade.

Yeah, cuz those players would come back in a heartbeat, right? The bitter, "I hate Blizz" crowd will just come running back if you pander to them. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Like Star Wars? Join the Dark Jedi Brotherhood today!
http://join.djb.club/Y929jgg

User Info: d209999

d209999
1 month ago#19
How many current legacy players would actually pay for official servers? Very, very few
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
1 month ago#20
Amakusa posted...
su27Chaos posted...
how the hell would it destroy both games. they get money from both types of customers. you treat it like an another mmo.

And yet you don't see what the problem is? You're dividing the players that would otherwise be playing together.

See Everquest and Everquest 2 for why this is a terrible idea.

Blizzard already knows this which is why they force everyone onto the same game versions on all of their games if they want to play with each other. Imagine the utter chaos there would be if you could keep playing Overwatch with one patch while everyone else was on another one.

they wouldn't lose that many customers and there is chance on regaining the old customers. plus if they didn't like the new game they wouldn't stay subscribe that long and people that stay would eventually stay because latest world of warcraft is completely different from old. not sure if you thought of that.

i remember player said they wouldn't go back to the old wow. more proof they wouldn't lose that many subs.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. WoW Legacy server shut down by creators after embezzling and more.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived