This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capcom reveals lifetime sales of the Resident Evil franchise

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom reveals lifetime sales of the Resident Evil franchise

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
1 month ago#51
LaManoNeraII posted...
It's pretty interesting that RE4 didn't sell all that well, despite unprecedented critical acclaim and having the combined install base of GC and PS2. While RE5 is the best selling one in the franchise likely because of all the hype and acclaim RE4 generated over the years. This truly is one weird and fickle industry

it was a big step forward, control wise. many hated the non fixed camera concept. many said it was no longer horror, etc. my fav re ever tho!

User Info: Zohar_Metatron

Zohar_Metatron
1 month ago#52
I think the bits I find interesting are how weird it gets in the bottom half. Umbrella Chronicles and Outbreak are higher on that list then I'd expected them to be. I am not surprised to see Umbrella Corps not tracking.

LaManoNeraII posted...
It's pretty interesting that RE4 didn't sell all that well, despite unprecedented critical acclaim and having the combined install base of GC and PS2. While RE5 is the best selling one in the franchise likely because of all the hype and acclaim RE4 generated over the years. This truly is one weird and fickle industry

Gamecube was only doing okay at the time RE4 came out-and then the PS2 release was later, and more low-key. 5 and 6 are, as mentioned, building off the reputation and hype moreso then they were just first-hand experience.

This happens from time to time. Mega Man Battle Network 4 is, to the best of my knowledge, still #2 in sales out of every Mega Man game (behind MM2), and that's because people liked BN3 and talked it up. BN4 did not get that high in the sales rankings on its own merits, I assure you.
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.

User Info: EliteGuard99

EliteGuard99
1 month ago#53
Perthboy posted...
Capcom's biggest mistake was listening to the RE6 haters, should have struck while the iron was hot and made an RE6 Gold.
RE7 has effectively killed the franchise.

*vomits*
"Sessions is like what would happen if a really sheltered home school kid did the fusion dance with everyone's racist thanksgiving uncle" - D_Bart

User Info: EliteGuard99

EliteGuard99
1 month ago#54
daemon_dan posted...
spud_almighty posted...
Supremo posted...
The sales numbers for Re5 and 6 are unbelievable... I see the appeal in RE 5, specially with th coop, but 6 is a heavily flawed game.

and RE5 isn't heavily flawed? It took everything from RE4, a near perfect game, and literally ruined it. RE6 at least tried to fix those issues.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses my friend

Indeed, RE 4 is what propelled the franchise down it's path to s***dom.
"Sessions is like what would happen if a really sheltered home school kid did the fusion dance with everyone's racist thanksgiving uncle" - D_Bart

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
1 month ago#55
ImaPC posted...
5, 6 and Rev 1 is best.

Disgusting
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
1 month ago#56
OrgeLambart posted...
Perthboy posted...
Capcom's biggest mistake was listening to the RE6 haters, should have struck while the iron was hot and made an RE6 Gold.
RE7 has effectively killed the franchise.

if the chart is correct it sold 4 million plus.. I doubt the next game is anything but a clone of RE7,, of course after they milk it with all the DLC you can imagine..

This is the most accurate numbers you'll find anywhere in the world. It's straight from Capcom.

User Info: Perthboy

Perthboy
1 month ago#57
Tyranius2 posted...
Marketing and hype sells games. It's no surprise at all RE5 and 6 sit at the top.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/capcom-on-resident-evil-7-reviews-wed-love-to-have-only-9s-or-10s-but-im-sure-well-see-a-few-8s-as-well

excerpts

But despite the different release windows (Resident Evil 6 launched in a more crowded October window), Resident Evil 7's marketing push will be "similar or probably higher" than that of the last game, Molant adds.

"The tone will be different, the imagery will be different," he said. "But in terms of where you put your investment and budget, or how big it is, it's pretty similar."

RE7 was hyped as return to roots by su/ho fanboys, journos looking for quick credibility points hyped it and bashed RE6. Turns out consumers don't want it to go back to being s*** and favor RE6's style more.

To put in context, RE6 did 4.5 million day one, release in October 2012 against Assassin's Creed 3, Forza Horizon, Nba 2k13, Dishonored, Doom 3.

RE7 came out in January with 0 competition and flopped. Taking 10 months to even break 4 million. It would most likely take more than 365 days for RE7 to break RE6 day one sales.
Perthboy
Mine is I-------------------this----------------------I big.

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
1 month ago#58
I played R4, 5, and 6 at the same time because I had just recently gotten into the series again. This was about a couple years ago. I liked 4, 5 was meh, 6 was garbage. Get the f*** out of here with that “rose-tinted” glasses bulls***. Is the fact I love RE7 based in nostalgia? Yeah, exactly. Shut the f*** up with that noise.

I hate when people can’t admit something sucks and that something old is actually good and not stained in their rose-tinted glasses rhetoric. It’s f***ing annoying.
yankees ws chizzamps

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
1 month ago#59
Perthboy posted...
RE7 was hyped as return to roots by su/ho fanboys, journos looking for quick credibility points hyped it and bashed RE6. Turns out consumers don't want it to go back to being s*** and favor RE6's style more.

So people correctly perceived RE7 as a horror game and didn't buy it. It's a niche genre.

Going back to RE4 pacing would be the correct approach. RE4 still managed to be eerie while having plenty of action. RE5 was fine as well. What we got with RE6 was a bay movie wearing a resident evil frock. It's a good game but it's so nonsensical and stupid that the story is as bad as something like The Mystery of the Druids.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
1 month ago#60
RE7 is the fastest selling game in Resident Evil history. Lol @ niche
yankees ws chizzamps
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Capcom reveals lifetime sales of the Resident Evil franchise

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived