This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my laptop running too hot for too long?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my laptop running too hot for too long?

User Info: SeventyEighty

SeventyEighty
1 month ago#1
Evening everyone,

I have a laptop I play FFXIV on. I use it when I take trips for my job, which is fairly often. I'll be gone for 2-3 days at a time once a month or so, sometimes more.

Anyways, is the laptop running too hot or is it fine for prolonged use. During play, after about 10-20 minutes, the GPU is around 60-65 degrees constant and the CPU monitor varies between 62-75 degrees wildly. I've played up to 3 hours before and it never changed from those temps.

Are these temps fine? There are times when I could easily play for 4-6 hours at a time on trips. Sometimes I travel to an area for 2 days and each day I have 3 hours of work which gives me the rest of the day in a hotel. I don't want to explode my laptop or do damage to it because I play for 6 hours straight.

Thanks for any advice.
Destiny 2

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#2
Laptops are meant to run hotter than a desk equivalent parts and those temps are more than fine for a desktop so yes it is more than fine
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

SeventyEighty
1 month ago#3
Fade2black001 posted...
Laptops are meant to run hotter than a desk equivalent parts and those temps are more than fine for a desktop so yes it is more than fine

Thank you for the help.
Destiny 2

SeventyEighty
1 month ago#4
Fade2black001 posted...

Hey while your around Fade2Black, what is an equivalent GPU to the 1050 2GB? It doesn't seem like a very good GPU at all.
Destiny 2

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#5
SeventyEighty posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Hey while your around Fade2Black, what is an equivalent GPU to the 1050 2GB? It doesn't seem like a very good GPU at all.

That because it isn't a good GPU, and neither is the TI version of it, you want at least a 1060 in this day and age for basic gaming.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

SeventyEighty
1 month ago#6
Fade2black001 posted...
SeventyEighty posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

That because it isn't a good GPU, and neither is the TI version of it, you want at least a 1060 in this day and age for basic gaming.

Well lucky for me I use this laptop for one game and only one game while on trips. My PC has way better than a 1060 too so yea. Cool.
Destiny 2

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#7
the mobile version of 1050ti probably will perform about the same as desktop 1050ti. but the mobile 1050 probably might end up being slower than desktop 1050. according to anandtech mobile 1050 have it's ROP being cut by half down to 16 from 32 compared to it's desktop version. i tried looking around but i can't find benchmark comparing mobile 1050 vs desktop 1050.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10980/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-for-laptops

laptop 1050 has half the ROPs as the desktop version, so effectively half the pixel fillrate. The laptop version of the 1050 Ti, is actually a full fledged 1050 Ti.
From the Anandtech specs, the laptop 1050 has more in common with the 960m than the desktop 1050, so it will probably perform closer to a desktop 750 Ti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEb0mWN5-gE
In games like Dota 2, you will see the performance deficit caused by the halved pixel fillrate.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is my laptop running too hot for too long?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived