This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I finally cracked and bought The Witcher 3 GOTY on PC for $20!!!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I finally cracked and bought The Witcher 3 GOTY on PC for $20!!!

User Info: KMacz31

KMacz31
1 month ago#11
I am pretty sure I am not the first to mentioned the poor combat system.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
1 month ago#12
KMacz31 posted...
I am pretty sure I am not the first to mentioned the poor combat system.

Pretty sure no one cares dude, the guy bought the game and wants a positive entertainment experience from it. Throwing your vocal minority opinion around like it has weight just takes away from the guy's experience.
If you don't like microtransactions in full priced AAA games, vote with your wallet and don't buy those games.

User Info: -GhosT-

-GhosT-
1 month ago#13
Combat is serviceable, and it definitely becomes a matter of life or death if you crank it up to Death March. People who trash the game for its combat would definitely be the same that said Morrowind was bad because of it, whereas there's a system to which to make Geralt fun to fight with, and a progression endeavor to create appropriately-leveled gear to take on the next part of the quest.

If you're on GameFAQs, you're already the type of person that will take the time to appreciate the systems that eventually develop into a very deep combat system, whereas it might appear as choppy to the uninformed player, who doesn't invest a little time in reading a little on what Signs do, and how to use them properly.

You'll be surprised when you hit lvl 9-10 where every encounter that was so unwittingly impossible suddenly becomes an enjoyable struggle, then a complete walk in the park as you keenly devise your strategy.

Death March or bust, in my case. (Beat it twice, best game of the decade so far.)

IMHO.
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
www.twitch.tv/GilgameshGG

User Info: NewportBox100s

NewportBox100s
1 month ago#14
Can I play it on Normal tho? I want it it to be easy for me.
http://twitter.com/ChaseBurr http://instagram.com/gucciplatinum
http://youtube.com/user/OmegaWeaponFFVIII http://last.fm/user/Fire_Thief

User Info: astelion

astelion
1 month ago#15
I got it cheaper on GOG sometime ago... sadly i got bored around the Bloody Baron quest and dropped the game. I think it's really overrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrQEsqcvpM
Some music goes with everything.

-GhosT-
1 month ago#16
Of course, it's an amazing game on every difficulty.
I just enjoyed struggling so much in the beginning, whereas my judicious build choices and equipment hunting started turning the tides on the enemies that were wrecking me so hard for the first few hours. It was the thrill of getting stronger that carried me on through the incredibly hard start.

If you're not a power-gamer like me, you will still find quite a heap of challenge, even on Normal. Worst case scenario, you can just crank it up a bit if it gets too easy, but it probably won't.

It's a gaming defining experience, don't let my own experience of the game influence how you want to play it. In fact, you could probably avoid the rage I had trying to complete some early quests, because I was so steadily dedicated to playing it on Death March. It was my own little success story, but it would absolutely ruin someone else's day; to each their own.

That said, enjoy every minute of it, and glory shall come to you. :)

-GhosT-
1 month ago#17
astelion posted...
I got it cheaper on GOG sometime ago... sadly i got bored around the Bloody Baron quest and dropped the game. I think it's really overrated.

That's literally the ending of the prologue, and a gut-wrenching, story-defining moment. That's like stopping on vinegar strokes. Shame. Eternal blue balls to you, sir.

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#18
I'm thinking about buying it on pc too. I bought for the ps4 and had stuttering issues when I was in the woods by the three witches. The frame rate takes a nose dive there. :(
Hmm....
Now, say my name.

-GhosT-
1 month ago#19
A quick little shortcut to loving the battle system is to immediately go for the Quen Sign Lvl 2. The Quen sign generates a shield around you, that will cancel the first blow that you take. You can fight very aggressively, and instead of paying a hefty price for your first mistake, you can cancel all that damage and roll away, getting ready to re-activate your Quen shield.

When you level it up, it will also regenerate your health if you hold the key, giving you that much needed survivability, as you figure out how to slash your foes to death and avoid those that try to come from the back to hit you for big damage.

Trust me, it's a skill that many used to carry them throughout the whole game. Pro-tip right there.

To go with Quen, boosting your Light Damage attack skill will help you go into those combos and destroy enemies, reducing their numbers quickly as you single them out in situations where you're heavily outnumbered.

That's the cheap, fun melee build that'll help you re-balance the game in your favor if you struggle at first.
The battle system is very balanced for all fighting styles, but this is the most common, most effective way to start a character to give you a fighting chance and get better at the battle system. Trust me on this, you won't regret boosting those skills early on.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#20
There is no difficulty restrictions. Your not going to get a special ending/uber dungeon for beating it wild hunt so balance it to abilities/challenge sought.

You are going to in the course of adventures come across some red skull enemies. Maybe a lv 30 bog lady when you are like 6. Look at map, scratch it down on a pad and come back later. Your not going to get a stack of exp and suddenly be lv 14 or anything.

Quick save often. If you run into a cave or something and it says New contract: blahblah blah, reload. You might want the story. It will involve picking up a contract at town and speaking to people. If you go and kill the thing, you will miss all that. It's fun to know who you are fighting, waht some stuff you run across means, and why you know...a big part of game, but game allows for haste too.

Potions/oils are your friend, so is the bestiary. You are going to have so much more of an easier time if you know what oil to put to blade and what potions to drink for the monster you are running into (info revealed through the witcher sense usually). Not so much a concern on normal but if pride demands wild hunt first time it's a difference to be sure.

Take time,have fun, appreciate the little things because man you can swim in them. If you aren't rushing to complete main story, say goodbye to a week or two of your life. Personally I'd save it for one of those times you break your foot or get sick, because by the time you get done with it, you should be healed :)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I finally cracked and bought The Witcher 3 GOTY on PC for $20!!!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived