This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#21
Ouned posted...
CursedPanther posted...
FL81 posted...
57 will be the worst release yet

And what is this supposed to be about?

It's going to kill any addons not compatible with the extension API that Chrome uses, WebExtensions. And there's not going to be any workaround because Firefox's traditional addon code is going to be completely removed.

Realistically most addon developers are not going to feel like porting, and the grand majority of addons are currently marked "Legacy" and won't work with 57. There have already been some addon devs who spitefully took their addons off of AMO in protest, despite no alternatives being available.

This I'm aware. However I see it as an opportunity for some much needed thorough house cleaning of add-ons.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#22
tbqh, firefox has been more miss than hit since they started s***ting out versions constantly. I mean, it's really what, 5.51?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#23
CursedPanther posted...
Ouned posted...
CursedPanther posted...
FL81 posted...
57 will be the worst release yet

And what is this supposed to be about?

It's going to kill any addons not compatible with the extension API that Chrome uses, WebExtensions. And there's not going to be any workaround because Firefox's traditional addon code is going to be completely removed.

Realistically most addon developers are not going to feel like porting, and the grand majority of addons are currently marked "Legacy" and won't work with 57. There have already been some addon devs who spitefully took their addons off of AMO in protest, despite no alternatives being available.

This I'm aware. However I see it as an opportunity for some much needed thorough house cleaning of add-ons.

But the only advantage FireFox has over other browsers is the security provided by those addons that aren't compatible with Chrome's limited extension API.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Ouned

Ouned
1 month ago#24
CursedPanther posted...

Not when a ton of weaksauce addons from Chrome are just going to be ported over instead. Meanwhile a bunch of actually good classic addons are gonna retire.

To make things worse the Firefox Extended Support release is stuck way in the past at 52, with the next one scheduled to be 59, so those of us who don't want the 57 update but want to retain security would have to go cycles back to version 52. Real unfortunate how they set that schedule up. Pale Moon forked, Cyberfox is dead, basically all that's left as a real alternative is Waterfox.

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
1 month ago#25
i never install firefox after discovering waterfox.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#26
Ouned posted...
CursedPanther posted...

Not when a ton of weaksauce addons from Chrome are just going to be ported over instead. Meanwhile a bunch of actually good classic addons are gonna retire.

Fair point.

Guess we'll see the future of Firefox unfolds pretty soon.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
1 month ago#27
TheMKDestroyer posted...
Do some of you guys that have no issues use adblock plus? Cause that started to cause random freezes since it wasn't supported anymore. I've deleted it and it seems around that time is when the memory leaks started happening. Is it the ads that are causing it on pages?

I'm running Firefox 64bit version 56.0 with Ublock Origin and NoScript.

Ublock Origin doesn't list as legacy, so I'm guessing it updated to whatever it needed to be at.

NoScript is listed as legacy. I actually had a minor problem yesterday when I noticed NoScript was registered as installed, but wasn't running when I'd start Firefox.

I went to NoScripts site and manually updated from NoScript 5.1.1 to 5.1.2 and that solved it. It's still listed as legacy, but is working and starts when I start Firefox.

Those are the only two add-ons I use, and otherwise, I haven't had any problems.

Ouned posted...

Good to know, thank you. I know Chrome supports Ublock Origin, so no problems there, but I don't think it supports NoScript, so I might need to switch to Script Safe.

It sucks that so many add-ons will be disabled, and I can definitely understand that being a problem for some folks. I should be ok as long as I have Ublock Origin and some type of script blocker available, whether NoScript, Script Safe, or whatever else.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#28
d209999 posted...
Edge master race!!!!!!!!

..............said no one ever

It is the 2nd best browser next to Chrome
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
1 month ago#29
Firefox for at work is good for ABP, noscript, ublock, ghostery, etc.

I actually do perfer using Edge at home though. Fastest and sleekest baby.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: jgatlabayan

jgatlabayan
1 month ago#30
I agree that firefox is starting to suck. Thinking of switching to Chrome as my main.
i7 7700k / GTX 1080ti / Asrock Z270 Extreme4 / 16gb DDR4 3200 / 1TB SSD / 6TB HD / BenQ XL2420T 120hz /x2 Chimei 24EH 60hz/ NZXT Phantom / Noctua NH-D14
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived