This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
1 month ago#31
adip1983 posted...
try waterfox...

I did and some of my add-ons don't work with it that work on regular Firefox.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#32
DiviDude posted...
I've had Firefox open for several days and it's only eating up about 890 MB.

Yeah. Then again, even though I've been hearing about Firefox's memory leaks for a solid decade now, I've never experienced any, so maybe I'm just spectacularly lucky.

We also don't know how many tabs TC has open - if somebody insists on running an obscene number of tabs, of course their browser is going to eat up memory.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
1 month ago#33
Leaks are due to addons not the browser
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
1 month ago#34
Honestly Firefox has been terrible post 3 when they started updating like mad.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#35
Yewolife posted...
Honestly Firefox has been terrible post 3 when they started updating like mad.

I agree

Firefox became popular because of the addons. Then they destroyed the addons, and started updating every couple weeks. It would be nice to turn back the clock but . . too late for that.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#36
JKatarn posted...
DiviDude posted...

Yeah. Then again, even though I've been hearing about Firefox's memory leaks for a solid decade now, I've never experienced any, so maybe I'm just spectacularly lucky.

We also don't know how many tabs TC has open - if somebody insists on running an obscene number of tabs, of course their browser is going to eat up memory.

Not to mention all the other things that can be going on. Just having a lot of tabs up doesn't do much if they don't have anything loaded in them, a common occurrence when you restart Firefox. If you go through and close a bunch of those tabs, however, and ctrl+w them after letting them load up instead of right-clicking on the tab and hitting 'c' you'll cause Firefox to steadily bloat up in size as well as causing its performance to degrade.

Likewise even if you don't do something like that you can find specific circumstances that cause Firefox to really wig out. I frequently do things like watch 20 or 30 videos, consecutively and within the same tab/window, from Jim Sterling, TotalBiscuit, or whatever else piqued my interest while playing Path of Exile for extended periods, and I've noticed that Firefox has a distinct tendency to really have... issues. I've had it crash, I've had it crash Path of Exile, I've had it bloat up to 10GB in system RAM, and I've had it start chugging along to the point where video playback for YouTube felt like it was running at 10 FPS at best.

That, mind you, is with YouTube's HTML5 player. I don't recall having anything similar happen with the Flash player, but the Flash player has its own issues like crashing when it loses focus while playing videos in full screen and dropping out of full screen when playback is paused and the player loses focus. That sort of thing made chain-watching YouTube videos while gaming more trouble than it was worth so it's not necessarily surprising or indicative of flaws inherent to the HTML5 player that I didn't see similar issues with the Flash player.

That chugging is also not something inherent to just trying to browse YouTube while gaming as I've had Firefox start doing it to the point where just browsing this site was like watching a slideshow despite having maybe 20 tabs loaded at most and Firefox showing a RAM footprint under 3GB.

Frankly, Firefox gets to be a really unwieldy pig by the time it hits about 4GB, and I'm surprised that it got up to 10GB at times while playing Path of Exile since it tends to crash at around 5GB under normal usage.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
1 month ago#37
Hmm, I've been having issues with Youtube's HTML5 in Firefox as well lately. Nothing quite as bad as your issues. But even if I have one video open for long enough, eventually Firefox becomes sluggish. I don't get framerate dips or anything, but it'll sometimes take a second or two to respond to things like scrolling, even in another tab.

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
1 month ago#38
Firefox in general is hot garbage. Join the Vivaldi master race: https://vivaldi.com/
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: cancerquake

cancerquake
1 month ago#39
DiviDude posted...

same until last month

idk why it's bad with memory now
boom

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#40
I just opened every tab for every website I could think of and then kept going for a while and I'm at just around 1GB of RAM being used... (27 tabs... I can't see how anyone can live with more than 10 tabs being used at once)

Maybe there IS a memory leak but it requires you leave the browser open 24/7 for a week to really experience it? I turn my computer off at night and I don't know of any reason to leave browsers open either so to me that's not luck, that's normal.

I just closed the 26 other tabs and my RAM usage is slowly going down... like it doesn't immediately drop...actually i'm seeing now that it's STILL around 1GB. Maybe it's keeping the pages cached in case I open the tabs again? Eh, I'll just close the browser and open it again to clear that out.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefox 56 is hot garbage.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived