This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm looking for a new video card.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm looking for a new video card.

User Info: thatauthor

thatauthor
1 month ago#31
zhenghan posted...
save up a bit more and get the 6GB.

thing is, I'm getting a replacement video card, not an upgrade. the difference being I'm getting it so I can have a working video card, not one to play games with higher system requirements. it's hard to justify the extra cost when I can not only play most(if not all) of my games on the settings I want and I don't really care what FPS I get outside of it being a slideshow or really choppy.

I'm not into the newest games either. the only game that I know I have that was released in the last 4 years is Serious Sam Fusion, a game I can play on high with my current card at around 60 FPS. it was also free because I own Serious Sam: BFE. I don't know what the newest game I bought is since Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, which only needs a 560 for the recommended requirements. I even don't know if I have any current gen games that aren't remakes(so SS Fusion doesn't count).

the only thing I can see me needing a better video card for is VR. though even the following link suggest that a 3GB 1060 is still at least decent, which is probably all I nee considering I can play at 30 FPS and still have fun.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/vrguide/

edit:" even then, I dunno if I will get VR because it's one of those things that I'll "eventually" get to.
I have to browse like a peasant ~ pizzaman95

User Info: CommunismFTW

CommunismFTW
1 month ago#32
a 3GB 1060 is not going to do VR very well. That's a whole different ballgame.

Anyway it sounds like you have your mind made up anyway, and since you barely seem to game I'm curious why you're even buying something that can game. Seems more reasonal to spend $50 on some micro sized heatsink only card just for the sake of using your monitor, and spending the $250 on better things or hobbies.
Since only from below can one better see the heights.
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#33
Silvererazor posted...
If based soley on the card, then 1060 (6gb), because it's cheaper than the RX 580 (8gb).
On the other hand, freesync of the AMD-card might be worth it to pay $50 more for the RX 580...

For the $50 more it would be worth it now if you were getting a 1070 gtx then I would say get that over the 580 but with freesync monitors being cheaper I would go with the 580 in the long run over a 1060 gtx.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

thatauthor
1 month ago#34
mucloud posted...
For the $50 more it would be worth it now if you were getting a 1070 gtx then I would say get that over the 580 but with freesync monitors being cheaper I would go with the 580 in the long run over a 1060 gtx.

the problem with that is that the 1070 is way too expensive and the 8 GB is also too expensive, but not nearly as much so I'd still be stuck with the 580 4 GB.

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
1 month ago#35
I'd look for a used Sapphire Fury Nitro. I got mine a year ago for $270 on sale.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#36
thatauthor posted...
thing is, the only 6 GB cards that I can find that are in my price range seem to have a form factor that's smaller than ATX.

You can use a small form factor card like itx with an atx or micro atx board my good sir. You just cant use an atx card with an itx board.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

thatauthor
1 month ago#37
MasteroftheArts posted...
I'd look for a used Sapphire Fury Nitro. I got mine a year ago for $270 on sale.

I'd rather not buy used. you don't know what the person has done with it. I also bought a motherboard that might have been used(don't remember). the mobo ended up not only being a dud, but one of the things on it had been switched around and I had to unscrew it to switch it back.

oblique365 posted...
You can use a small form factor card like itx with an atx or micro atx board

that doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. probably because I have no experience with anything but ATX cases. it seems like would either not fit the PCI-E slot or break easier. I don't think I'm against using non-kosher parts though.

oblique365 posted...
You just cant use an atx card with an itx board.

I know that much though. the size difference would make it not fit.

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
1 month ago#38
Buy a used 980TI for $300... wrecks the 1060.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

thatauthor
1 month ago#39
iemerg_ posted...
Buy a used 980TI for $300... wrecks the 1060.

I'd rather not buy used. It's harder to find, more prone to breaking, and buying new is guaranteed.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm looking for a new video card.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived