This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#11
zhenghan posted...
thought about it some more, probably the reason games are not compressed is because it expends CPU cycles to uncompress it on the fly, whilst you usually have plenty of storage space so it's not worth the hit to the CPU. probably matters more for games like Fortnite where right off the bat you can tell it's gonna be more CPU demanding than GPU demanding.

That was my initial thought as well, but they claim Total War Warhammer, BF1 and BF4 didn't lose any performance, and those are the games where worse CPU performance should be most obvious
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#12
godplaysSNES posted...
zhenghan posted...
thought about it some more, probably the reason games are not compressed is because it expends CPU cycles to uncompress it on the fly, whilst you usually have plenty of storage space so it's not worth the hit to the CPU. probably matters more for games like Fortnite where right off the bat you can tell it's gonna be more CPU demanding than GPU demanding.

That was my initial thought as well, but they claim Total War Warhammer, BF1 and BF4 didn't lose any performance, and those are the games where worse CPU performance should be most obvious

and then you find out they used an i7-7700k in the benchmark system xD
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#13
Conversations like this make me wish I was a little bit more about computers, because I feel like there is something horribly wrong with compressing, but I can't put my finger on it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#14
how is this different from the "compress this disk to save space" option
https://i.imgur.com/vciyIJy.png
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
1 month ago#15
zhenghan posted...

Having to read large files constantly drains I/O resources.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#16
Black_Assassin posted...
zhenghan posted...

so it comes down to whether your hard drive is the bottleneck or your CPU is the bottleneck. i can see a potential performance increase if you have a very good CPU but very bad hard drive. on the flip side, i can see a potential performance decrease if you have a very bad CPU but hard drive is decent.

The I/O resource drain is probably a moot point for Fornite/Unreal engine 4.0 though, considering it employs texture streaming. As long as you have enough system ram and vram, then the burden on I/O is minimal (because it's cached in memory/vram).
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#17
zhenghan posted...
Black_Assassin posted...
zhenghan posted...

so it comes down to whether your hard drive is the bottleneck or your CPU is the bottleneck. i can see a potential performance increase if you have a very good CPU but very bad hard drive. on the flip side, i can see a potential performance decrease if you have a very bad CPU but hard drive is decent.

Half a second of waiting for io is a lot of cpu cycles wasted.
The amount of cpu deficit required to turn the tide is beyond what the game needs.
To put it another way. A 200mhz Pentium 2 had no performance loss from decompressing on the fly. That's why you could compress fat32 (or was it 16?) In Windows 95 and not notice a difference.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#18
So how bad does your Hard drive have to be to think about compressing the files? Is this even necessary on a SSD then (other than to save space)?
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
1 month ago#19
Wonder if there's any chance of someone porting the code to earlier versions of Windows and building off of that.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: MabinogiFan

MabinogiFan
1 month ago#20
Might try this tool later. My CPU is mediocre (i5 650) but with games like Skyrim or Portal 2 that shouldn't matter too much.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived