This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

User Info: loader963

loader963
1 month ago#71
2.364 to 2.008 for a 356Gb savings. Nifty but I couldn’t get the automatic compression box to turn on. Tried command lines in the powershell even. If I play a game it decompresses and I guess I have to manually compress it again?
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: BingSanpao

BingSanpao
1 month ago#72
dennis941012 posted...
what setting are you guys using i am only with "better" option I am only seeing 1~3 gb space saved only

Lzx would be the best but slowest one to decompress. I'd imagine the difference would be minimal nowadays tho.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#73
CursedPanther posted...
So has there been any incident of a game breaking/inaccessible after the compression process? Pretty impressive stuff for 100% success rate with so huge an amount of space saved.

With this stuff? No clue.

In the past, however, yeah, there've been a few cases at least of file compression causing issues. I messed with file compression back in the late 90s and early 2000s and had my installation of MechWarrior 3 get slightly borked in the process. Dunno exactly what or how it happened, but enemies on one map went from playing fair to shooting through mountains, and I went from WYSIWYG terrain to invisible walls everywhere.

I wouldn't suggest staying away from compact/compress features in modern OSes, however, purely because it had a rocky time in the Windows 95/98 time period, but I'd probably be a bit leery if you're still using Windows XP.

__

That said, how is a third-party site saying that there's a(n apparent) lack of penalty to compressing files this way equatable to "Microsoft proves it improves performance?" I mean PCGamer isn't Microsoft, and a lack of performance penalty is not a performance gain.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#74
Marikhen posted...
That said, how is a third-party site saying that there's a(n apparent) lack of penalty to compressing files this way equatable to "Microsoft proves it improves performance?" I mean PCGamer isn't Microsoft, and a lack of performance penalty is not a performance gain.

Just click bait to bring people in
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
1 month ago#75
I just wish they kept each Individual Games Root Directory in a Compression file container and operated it straight out of said container.

Any new addition in terms of files or modifications will get treated like a modification through a standard Compression Program (Add / Delete / Modify / Rename / etc)
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#76
Tried it on Pillars of Eternity last night. I knew this game had terrible compression since the 11 GB installer turned into 24GB on disk and I could watch all the BMP and WAV files extract during install. I used the XPRESS16K option. Compression happened pretty quickly, within about 10 minutes total, and left me with a 14GB install. So far I noticed a little slowdown in the video intro when I first started up the game, but after that it was running just as smoothly as before.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
1 month ago#77
gideond posted...
Tried it on Pillars of Eternity last night. I knew this game had terrible compression since the 11 GB installer turned into 24GB on disk and I could watch all the BMP and WAV files extract during install. I used the XPRESS16K option. Compression happened pretty quickly, within about 10 minutes total, and left me with a 14GB install. So far I noticed a little slowdown in the video intro when I first started up the game, but after that it was running just as smoothly as before.
When you're decompressing in game, is it into a temp folder on your SSD?

Do you have a RAM Drive that you can move your temp folder to?
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#78
KamenRiderBlade posted...
gideond posted...
When you're decompressing in game, is it into a temp folder on your SSD?

Do you have a RAM Drive that you can move your temp folder to?

I haven't played with it much. My games run off a WD Black platter drive, not off my SSD. This is the Amazon version of POE, which is basically a modified GOG installer. I'm not sure where exactly it caches the temp files. It may be on the SSD under the normal temp directory. I have 16GB or RAM, but have not setup a RAM Drive with it.The only hit I've seen though it when it first starts, which I guess is when it starts decompression. It smooths out almost immediately.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#79
RyanEsau posted...
So, I guess this isn't made for video files. Oh well. Great for games.

I always saw it choke up and stop if it hit a video or audio file that was already compressed. I bet if you ran it on a raw video file or raw audio file it would still work though.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So why aren't games compressed anymore? Microsoft proves it improves performance

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived