This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With the hate towards lootboxes as huge as it is, how will gamers react to...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With the hate towards lootboxes as huge as it is, how will gamers react to...

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
1 month ago#1
... the next Borderlands?

That entire game is based on earning random loot. Will people embrace the joy of opening loot boxes like they did in 2009? Will they complain on the forums that RNG is limiting the experience they payed for because they depend on it to find the guns to match their build? Will they engage in some type of double-think and argue that these lootboxes are totally different from other game's lootboxs?
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#2
Depends if you have to gamble real money for them or not.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
1 month ago#3
SinisterSlay posted...

"have to" or just give players the option to spend real money or not? Didn't the last borderlands sell keys? I know there was shift code keys that could be used to open a certain chest in the hub area but I don't remember if they sold those keys straight up for $ or not.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: playboydojo

playboydojo
1 month ago#4
I don't remember keys being available for money. But the keys were worthless anyway, because at the start of the game you don't need them yet, and by the time you get to UVHM the scaling is so high that spending a key on a weapon that'd only be kinda okay for a couple levels would be a waste.

Plus I don't remember the keys ever getting you any of the unique weapons that you actually wanted. Most of the time you were just resetting a quest over and over until your quest reward gun had the parts you wanted.

In general, the way loot worked in BL2 was terrible enough without a lootbox system.
...and then I said, "Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!"

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#5
pothocket posted...
Didn't the last borderlands sell keys?

They didn't sell keys but they gave out codes worth a varying number of keys for promotions. In a way you could say that the ones paying for it was Gearbox by using them to promote the game.

But yeah, I wound up getting like 60 keys from varying sources (one webpage listed a f***load of key codes and all I had to do was sit there and type them all in) and after opening 3 or 4 chests it was no longer cool....

I wouldn't put it past Gearbox to be scummy though and sell codes that give you better loot drops or some s***.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#6
pothocket posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

"have to" or just give players the option to spend real money or not? Didn't the last borderlands sell keys? I know there was shift code keys that could be used to open a certain chest in the hub area but I don't remember if they sold those keys straight up for $ or not.

Those items are only good for lower levels. Cause once you start finding legendaries, the keys becomes worthless.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#7
The BL2 lootbox was pretty much worthless, especially at endgame. All you could get were purple/e-tech weapons. No legendaries or uniques, you weren't grinding for hours to earn a key or dropping money on them because that was the only way to get good weapons. It was kinda handy if you really had a string of bad luck on drops and just needed something your level because stat scaling was garbage after about level 45 or so and using a weapon that was even one level old was like fighting with a super soaker but after the first time you killed the warrior there was zero reason to even look at that box because he drops 50-60 purples every time you kill him, and there's a trick to force him to drop golds every time as well if you want (not sure how to do it on PC, at least solo)
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
(message deleted)

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
1 month ago#9
I never mind if loot boxes are only earned in game.

However, I guarantee that Gearbox will sell lootboxes in BL3. They are scummy enough to do it, and they have had flop after flop to the point I'm certain their wallets are hurting.

Of course, they'll need to release BL3 sooner rather than later because people are going to start getting pissed off at being taken for a ride by companies with microtransactions.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With the hate towards lootboxes as huge as it is, how will gamers react to...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived