This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Raspberries and input lag

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Raspberries and input lag

User Info: Gatchan

Gatchan
1 month ago#1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the PC board, so please be kind if this topic seems out of place or redundant. I've searched but couldn't find a direct answer to this:
I had a first hand experience with a raspberry (pi3 with Retropie, iirc) at a friend's. Everything we tested up to N64 worked like a charm, except for the horrid input lag on NES and SNES games. I read a bunch of stuff about it and get the probable reasons why. We searched for a game mode on his flat screen but found none. The lag is a good third of, maybe half a second! SMB is downright unplayable in these conditions.
So my concern is, I wanted such a raspberry for myself. Unfortunately, my flat screen has no game mode either and I noticed similar input lag when connecting the original NES and SNES to it (I'm from Switzerland, so everything I use is PAL, should it matter).
I also own a CRT: Sony KX-20ps1 with a BNC port (adaptor allows me to connect a yellow cinch for video) and a faulty SCART that could only display video coming from a Japanese SNES… The issue is common on this CRT, I gathered, so let's stick with me having a crappy yet functional video cinch.
My question for all of you knowledgeable community members: can I, somehow, manage having close to no input lag (please understand: "absolutely no NOTICEABLE input lag" when I say "close to") when using such a Raspberry? Should I buy a new screen with a game mode? Is there a way to make it work even with no game mode with my actual screen? And, most of all, is there a way to connect a Raspberry to my old CRT, using a video cinch cable (or maybe a SCART, but I would have to buy another CRT with a working SCART port…)?
Thank you for any help!!

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#2
it's probably a combination of high input lag from the raspberry pi itself + high input lag from the monitor
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Gatchan
1 month ago#3
The Raspberry can have input lag as well? Do you mean there are different kinds of Raspberries? If so, I'm very interested in recommendations for the best Raspberries for retrogaming! Money is a secondary issue. What's the top of the raspberry crop??

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#4
Gatchan posted...
The Raspberry can have input lag as well? Do you mean there are different kinds of Raspberries? If so, I'm very interested in recommendations for the best Raspberries for retrogaming! Money is a secondary issue. What's the top of the raspberry crop??

anything can have input lag, i mean i did a quick search and found that
https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/5t1li2/input_lag_tested/
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Gatchan
1 month ago#5
Most of what I read incriminated the TV, and I spent many hours already dissecting a subject I had no clue about a week ago. Thanks for culturing me, though :D
Any recommendations for good/better/well rounded emulating machine with a lower input lag?
And for anyone else visiting this thread, most of my questions remain. Feel free ;)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Raspberries and input lag

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived