This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any EAX replacements in the future?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any EAX replacements in the future?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#1
Still miffed about how EAX was effectively killed by the death of hardware audio in DirectX. Has there been any new developments to replace EAX for gaming use?

I know AMD was developing something called True Audio or w/e, but I haven't heard about this in a really long time and I don't see how something only supported by a few AMD video cards can survive.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#2
Everything EAX could do back then can be done now in software without much CPU drain. There's no real need for a new hardware accelerated audio API to replace it.

A problem does exist with playing old EAX games on modern hardware, since the games are making hardware calls to nowhere, and aren't easily translated into software algorithms. IndirectSound does a good job of restoring positional 3D audio effects, but reverb and environmental effects are just discarded.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#3
Do we really need any sort of EAX "replacement," hardware or software?

It's not as if audio technology is still as far from "real life" as video technology is. Maybe I've got bad ears, but game audio seems to be about the same now as it was in the late 90s when MP3 and similar formats started taking off in games and CD audio started getting phased out. Likewise I'm not sure that there's really a lot of room left for improvement since computer audio technology is already pretty close to "real life" in many regards.

That's as opposed to visual technology where games, so far as I know, have yet to truly incorporate realistic atmospheric simulation to the point where flash lights properly light up rooms and light, shadow, and coloration are appropriately affected by what's in the atmosphere whether it's 90% nitrogen, 87% argon, full of smoke from having shot off 2,500 rounds of .50 ammunition and a couple cherry bombs, or contains 12.5% chupacabra farts by volume.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#4
I think OpenAL covers most of it.
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
1 month ago#5
Marikhen posted...
Do we really need any sort of EAX "replacement," hardware or software?

It's not as if audio technology is still as far from "real life" as video technology is. Maybe I've got bad ears, but game audio seems to be about the same now as it was in the late 90s when MP3 and similar formats started taking off in games and CD audio started getting phased out. Likewise I'm not sure that there's really a lot of room left for improvement since computer audio technology is already pretty close to "real life" in many regards.

That's as opposed to visual technology where games, so far as I know, have yet to truly incorporate realistic atmospheric simulation to the point where flash lights properly light up rooms and light, shadow, and coloration are appropriately affected by what's in the atmosphere whether it's 90% nitrogen, 87% argon, full of smoke from having shot off 2,500 rounds of .50 ammunition and a couple cherry bombs, or contains 12.5% chupacabra farts by volume.

Sounds are also affected by what's in the atmosphere. Plus there is the possibility of procedurally generated sound effects which are highly CPU intensive.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
1 month ago#6
As for the topic, the RAX register is a superset of the EAX register.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

zhenghan
1 month ago#7
Lol gaming audio regressed big time. The apex of sound development was EAX 5.0 in games such as Bioshock 1 (Bioshock 2 sounded much much worse since it didn't support EAX) since it supported features such as 128 positional sounds with up to 4 effects on each. Now we're capping out at like 32 sounds at once.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#8
zhenghan posted...
Lol gaming audio regressed big time. The apex of sound development was EAX 5.0 in games such as Bioshock 1 (Bioshock 2 sounded much much worse since it didn't support EAX) since it supported features such as 128 positional sounds with up to 4 effects on each. Now we're capping out at like 32 sounds at once.

Last time I checked the majority of modern games support a maximum of 128-256 sound channels. EAX went away because integrated audio advanced to the point that it was "good enough" for most of the market, and it was no longer worth catering to the small niche with dedicated EAX soundcards - that and your average CPU is more than powerful enough to do advanced audio mixing in software.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

zhenghan
1 month ago#9
JKatarn posted...
zhenghan posted...

Last time I checked the majority of modern games support a maximum of 128-256 sound channels. EAX went away because integrated audio advanced to the point that it was "good enough" for most of the market, and it was no longer worth catering to the small niche with dedicated EAX soundcards - that and your average CPU is more than powerful enough to do advanced audio mixing in software.

Source on the 128-256 sound channels in modern games?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#10
JKatarn posted...
zhenghan posted...

Actually, EAX went away because Microsoft rewrote the sound stack for Windows Vista, breaking hardware accelerated audio support, and Creative did not want to rework their drivers to work with the change.
PCM sound has been fine on the CPU since the advent of the multi-megahertz CPU, but environmental processing has largely been a clusterf*** of IP ownership with Creative buying out competitors just to shut them down. It took years for games to catch back up with where EAX was in it's early days, and it's still uncommon to see more than rudimentary environmental audio in games, especially with clear, clean sampling, and videogame audio has a long way to go before it's really believable.
Most people have garbage ears and even worse perception, though, so I don't expect it to come back into the mainstream.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any EAX replacements in the future?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived