This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

User Info: Tekutso

Tekutso
1 month ago#11
Multi core enhancement was turned off

You know that makes a huge difference right...

But yeah, as far as gaming goes, it isn't that big of a difference. In 5 years or so it probably will be if games make use of the multi core processors. But at the same time, it does literally everything else way better and faster, and CPU intensive games will benefit.
Nerd
Gamefaqs Finest

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
1 month ago#12
johnny_pay posted...
an i5 2500k will be showing its age.

Found this with GTA V at 1440p, cores sat at or near 100% most of the time in built up areas.

At that point I decided to upgrade.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#13
Jason_Hudson posted...
johnny_pay posted...

Found this with GTA V at 1440p, cores sat at or near 100% most of the time in built up areas.

Interesting i remember people saying a OCed 2500k could match my 4590 but i definitely dont go anywhere near 100% on gta v. Maybe 70 max. Usually 60.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#14
What if you're building a PC from scratch rather than upgrading?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

Tekutso
1 month ago#15
Jason_Hudson posted...
johnny_pay posted...

At 1440 it doesn't really matter, your 1080 is doing 99% of the work. At higher res 1st gen intel chips perform almost the same as 8th gen with cards as powerful as a 1060 or better. Because the gpu is doing all the work. You look at benchmarks at 720p, you will see a big difference with cpu, and a little difference at 1080.
Nerd
Gamefaqs Finest

Tekutso
1 month ago#16
HeliosMagi posted...
What if you're building a PC from scratch rather than upgrading?

You build the newest stuff, it will last the longest. Lol. You can do a pretty good budget build with the i5 8400, its pretty much the go to processor for budget build imo. Cheaper motherboards should be available q1 2018 to pair with it.
Nerd
Gamefaqs Finest

User Info: MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip
1 month ago#17
mucloud posted...
A 2600k it shows it's life now, you should be upgrading to a better cpu that does not need any Icing to handle games.

Is frosting okay?
i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | GTX 980 Ti | 500GB 960 EVO

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
1 month ago#18
johnny_pay posted...
if you have an i7 2600k there is no need but an i5 2500k will be showing its age.

Not enough to justify buying into a whole other platform. I say this as someone who went from a 2500K to a 7700K.

If you're just aiming for 60 FPS, it's just not worth the money, and I'd say it'll never be worth until an overclocked 2500K starts holding games back massively to the point that most can't run above 40 FPS or something, and we're way, way, way, way far off from that happening any time soon.

If you're one of those weirdos who settles for 30 FPS, you probably won't have to upgrade your CPU until a f***ing PS5 and fourth XBOX are in the mid-years :/ Unless there's some insane advancement that happens.
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
1 month ago#19
My desktop CPU history:-

Pentium 4 single core - 2003 to 2011
i5 2500 - 2011 - ????

It'll HAVE to do.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#20
MyDogSkip posted...
mucloud posted...
A 2600k it shows it's life now, you should be upgrading to a better cpu that does not need any Icing to handle games.

Is frosting okay?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qUH2sD4GWB0/UUn5xBphLjI/AAAAAAAAA2o/MMYWv7n8sNw/s1600/thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived