This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#21
Jason_Hudson posted...
johnny_pay posted...
an i5 2500k will be showing its age.

Found this with GTA V at 1440p, cores sat at or near 100% most of the time in built up areas.

At that point I decided to upgrade.

You have ultra grass on?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
1 month ago#22
i am on hexa core sandy and i still play games just fine at 60fps but i plan to upgrade sometime in 2018 for productivity reasons

I feel like it's time for a whole new build.I need an 8 core and more RAM
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
1 month ago#23
Honestly if i bought a 2500k in 2011, I probably wouldnt actually upgrade for at least another year or two. Wait for the dust to settle with intel upping their core counts. I have a feeling I got screwed upgrading in early 2017. CPUs didnt really advance from 2011 to this year much and now crap is freaking exploding and will continue to do so over the next couple years.

There's already talk of ryzen 12 cores and intel 8 cores next year.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 760 2 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1600x900

User Info: Taitao

Taitao
1 month ago#24
The 2500k was the best investment in 2011 for me. I use it still as a secondary PC with a GTX 970.
If the longevity can be done for video cards too, it would save bucks in my pocket.
HSF2:AE++

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 month ago#25
This is the time when CPU performance will begin seeing more meaningful jumps as Intel cannot get away with another 0-5% again. Current Gen 8 CPU's are complete half measure, rushed out to have some alternative to AMD Ryzen for holiday 2017. Starting with Intel 10 nm next year, expect to see CPU releases have gainful performance. Sandy Bridge days are all numbered, no matter the model. Ivy and Haswell too. But hey, AMD put out a really bad architecture and this led to SB/IB having a very good run. but that is over.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: Fony

Fony
1 month ago#26
Taitao posted...
The 2500k was the best investment in 2011 for me. I use it still as a secondary PC with a GTX 970.
If the longevity can be done for video cards too, it would save bucks in my pocket.

The Radeon 7970 or RX 290X(390X) are both still relevant for 1080p gaming right now.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If your PC is mainly a gaming device still no reason to upgrade from Sandybridge

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived