This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you against lootboxes in games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are you against lootboxes in games?

User Info: WhiteRosse

WhiteRosse
1 month ago#31
Hate them, with a passion.

I've looked at a bunch of posts on reddit, and according to their experience with purchasing these boxes, some of the percentages of getting the item you want from a loot box is drastically low. Depending on the game and type of loot box, they can go as low as 1-2%, (even lower).

The problem with loot boxes is that you don't know the mechanics behind them. It is all a game of chance but that percentage can easily be altered against you. Unlike a fair distributed chance (where the chance of success is directly proportional to it's frequency inside the lootbox), some of these crates are rigged to go against you. Imaging rolling a die in a game where you get what you want when the number 6 comes up. The code can be easily written so that the player needs to buy at least 2 boxes before a hitting the 6. Or have their distributions altered so that all other numbers appear more frequently.

It's a shady (yet profitable) practice. I seriously don't think any gamers actually want them, compared to a direct purchase. Unless you are heavily invested in that publisher or something...
Xbox One X and PC Master Race

User Info: Looked gf

Looked gf
1 month ago#32
Yes

First it starts with cosmetics sure

then items affecting gameplay

then unlockable maps

exclusive endings

the game itself
http://i.imgur.com/otLaOxa.gifv

User Info: CrestedTax

CrestedTax
1 month ago#33
gwizzler posted...
CrestedTax posted...
I'm indifferent, unless lootboxes affect gameplay. I would not play a game that implements that kind of lootboxes.

The issue with this is even something like Overwatch's lootboxes affect gameplay, whether or not you want to admit it. Cosmetic items used to be unlocked via progression, not by sheer luck. I know you can still buy items with coins, but you shouldn't need coins at all. The boxes have duplicate items (with such a s*** exchange rate) only to break down someone's will and get them to buy more boxes because it takes forever to buy that 3000 coin event skin when you're getting 40 coins per box.

By gameplay I mean you don't get any kind of advantage over others or extra abilities. Overwatch is a competitive multiplayer game. Unlockables of any kind that affect gameplay would be a bad thing in my opinion.

I'm sorry but if your will gets broken by lootboxes you have a problem. People should not blame others for their own weaknesses.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#34
I am not a fan of microtransactions in general. If I want loot boxes, I would go back to playing Magic:TCG.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#35
Nope. I like loot boxes if it's only cosmetic items that doesn't effect the gameplay. The ones that do effect the gameplay are terrible.
Injustice 2 has a kind of balance to loot boxes that I enjoy. It does change how the game plays, only if you allow them to. Otherwise, it's just extra costumes.
Now, say my name.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#36
I didn't know how far they were taken so yes. I think spending money without it being clear what you're getting is indefensible. Selling mystery bundles as well I don't think should be legal.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#37
In Overwatch's case what you're getting is an extra hour or so of your life not spent playing the game. It just looks like you're buying a shot at the item you want if you're not paying attention.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
1 month ago#38
CrestedTax posted...
By gameplay I mean you don't get any kind of advantage over others or extra abilities. Overwatch is a competitive multiplayer game. Unlockables of any kind that affect gameplay would be a bad thing in my opinion.

I'm sorry but if your will gets broken by lootboxes you have a problem. People should not blame others for their own weaknesses.

Attitudes like yours are why we're in this position in the first place. Publishers see people not having too much of an issue with something like putting cosmetics in the boxes, and then they just take the idea a little bit further (clear P2W aspects like BF2).

Remember online passes in EA games? They didn't go away because EA felt like being a decent company. They went away because people complained.

The lootbox system is designed to exploit people with those problems. The flashy visuals and catchy sounds when you "pull" something of note is the exact same thing slot machines do. There's just no point to them at all other than trying to make people spend more money.

Also, if you need the flashy visuals, catchy sounds and the "risky" feeling of opening up lootboxes instead of just unlocking them via progression, you're probably susceptible to addictive feelings.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

User Info: pkdragon

pkdragon
1 month ago#39
I remember when DLC was called unlockables

User Info: JhayCee

JhayCee
1 month ago#40
I honestly don't mind and I'll never get the argument that it's gambling. You're getting SOMETHING out of it even if you don't get what you want.
We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama on PC vs Console
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are you against lootboxes in games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived