This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

User Info: Shinigami2784

Shinigami2784
4 weeks ago#11
Most games can easily be played with a controller, I still use one for stuff like Dark Souls, Bayonetta, platformers, etc. M+KB can take a while to get used to, but with practice you'll adapt and it'll feel so much nicer in FPS games and such.
It's a trick, get an axe.

User Info: saltedham

saltedham
4 weeks ago#12
did you ever play a n64 fps that had movement on the c buttons, up/down/left/right. just like wsad. and the 1 stick was for aim, just like a mouse.
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!

User Info: Alpreyz

Alpreyz
4 weeks ago#13
You shouldn't have listened young kids this vs this arguments. My main interest was always pc gaming. However I had consoles in the past (when I was younger) and let me tell you this is an unpopular opinion but I don't believe there is a huge transition phase.

You sure know how to use a keyboard from work or your personal life no ? The fact that you play games is enough and the important factor, if you were a person that never played a single video game till his/her late 30's then I'd say try to enjoy the games don't take them too seriously regardless of the platform. However you aren't and I am sure you'll get used to it in no time. Enjoy your better performance and tons of exclusives.

(Sure you might be a bit under your own skill level compared to your console at first but that'll change in no time)

For single players that are better with controllers you can use a controller if you wish to anyways.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 weeks ago#14
Takuru posted...
how long did it take you to get used to keyboard and mouse?

Never. I hate that control scheme and refuse to use it.

XBONE or Steam controller ALWAYS. There's no need for crufty old controls anymore.

(I would have also mentioned how great the Hydra is for FPS, but it's no longer in production, which is tragic.)

User Info: SirHeiska

SirHeiska
4 weeks ago#15
I got my first PC when I was like 20 years old. Now 15 years later M + KB still is sometimes problematic, but I can play some fps games pretty nicely.

Like with standard wasd controls I have really hard time to use number keys, F keys and bottom row letters (zxc). It causes physical pain to my hand.
So I try to put most extra actions to my mouse buttons.
Oh... and obviously I have some problems with mouse accuracy and tracking, but still can hold my on pretty well.

Anyways...
Im sure you get used to M + KB no matter how old you are, but dont expect to become 15 years old CS pro or something.
Just practice and be realistic with your limits.

Single player fps games are great way too practice if you are too scared to jump in online.
Overwatch is also great because there is some many different heroes with different aiming requirements.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 weeks ago#16
Took me about 3 days playing pubg to get my keyboard mouse skills up to scratch. Been playing with a controller for decades. Literally
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: builder111

builder111
4 weeks ago#17
I use controller mostly
caps

User Info: Whitesburg

Whitesburg
4 weeks ago#18
Learning the controller is part of the fun. Joystick for fighters and 2d platformers, wheel for racing, mouse for FPS and strat, touch controllers for VR.

Oh yeah, you will suck. Just dont get frustrated and know it takes a little bit of time and practice.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#19
Takuru posted...
how long did it take you to get used to keyboard and mouse?

I would say a month to get comfortable, but maybe a lot longer to "Git gud" since competitive games always push you to limits you didn't know you had.

If you know how to type you already have a good headstart. If you've never touched a keyboard and mouse before it's gonna be hard. I'd still think the average guy will probably adapt fairly quickly, but it depends on how much you try.

If you lean on the controller all the time as a crutch then you'll never gain any skills with the KB/M combo.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
4 weeks ago#20
Takuru posted...
jhood posted...
not sure if you know or not,but controllers work on pc too.

It's pretty much consensus that a mouse and keyboard completely outclasses a controller..

No . . it's not .I don't know who told you that . . . but they LIED to you.

I play at least half my games with a controller. Games like
Batman series
Grid
Burnout Paradise
Witcher 3
Tomb Raider
Sleeping Dogs
Ori and the Blind Forest
Shadow Warrior
Dragons Dogma
. . . etc.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived