This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
1 month ago#21
Born Lucky posted...
No . . it's not .I don't know who told you that . . . but they LIED to you.

If you're talking competitive multiplayer, people who use mice are usually going to be more accurate than controllers. If you're talking single player, I still think mice are better but generally speaking it doesnt matter as much.

Now, this can vary. For a shooter, all of the above is true. For a racing or fighting game though; controller wins in my opinion.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#22
Born Lucky posted...
No . . it's not .I don't know who told you that . . . but they LIED to you.

KB/M outclasses a controller for FPS games that don't have autoaim.

Controller does better than KB/M for platformers.

Controller does better than KB/M for racing games.

It's all about choosing the best for the games you're playing. Nobody is going to play competitive CS:GO on a DDR pad and few people are going to play Dark Souls using nothing but the keyboard. (someone might do both for s***s and giggles but that's about it).
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#23
Takuru posted...
Did anyone here start gaming on a PC very late into their life? Basically, my worry is that I will waste close to two grand on a PC only to find out that I cannot deal with keyboard and mouse or finding out I'm an old dog who can't learn new tricks in a world of PC gamers who are beyond hardcore at their craft.

Let me share a story with you: When I got a home PC, I was already proficient with using it, however my parents weren't. My father in particular had almost no experience with computers, and none at all with gaming. Yet he merely watched me play Half-Life at the time and thought it was fun. I offered to show him how to play himself but my father just told me to keep playing so he could see how I handle the mouse and keyboard. Later on he did indeed try it and after some brief acclimatisation, he started to enjoy playing first person shooters.

My father was in his fourties at that point and wasn't at all able to play games at all. Yet he managed to easily learn. He later on started playing strategy games, too, even though the concept of watching from above and commanding many troops was something he never though possible and the idea that the action was happening simultaneously happening on different parts of the map (e.g., you could be attacking in one place and also building stuff back at your base) was even more alien to him. And yet he started enjoying Red Alert 2 with some mild guidance.

This is why I'm always amazed at the people who think they would be never be able to pick up PC gaming. Even though they are already way more proficient in both using a computer and gaming than my father was. Not to mention likely younger than him.

My father isn't even some world renowned genius - he is just a normal guy.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: darkhouse999

darkhouse999
1 month ago#24
All it takes is practice, the more you play the better you will get.
current PC, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PKKv2R

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
1 month ago#25
I started 4 years ago after never having played PC games besides RuneScape ever. I've adjusted pretty well I think but I still prefer controller for a lot of games I play. Of course I use KBM in shooters but I use controller for most other things I play. The beautiful thing about PC though is you have that choice to use whatever you want as a control scheme, and usually you can change mid game if you want. Like in Battlefield I play infantry and tank with KBM but I fly with controller.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#26
darkhouse999 posted...
All it takes is practice

That's all it takes for anyone to get good at anything. I mean, unless you're physically handicapped and have to play games via a stick in your mouth or something. I actually played against a guy who had limited use of his hands and had a special rig to play. He wasn't very good, but he gave it his best shot. If I had to play with his method, I would have done far worse (obviously he had all the practice on it).

tl;dr practice, get good, stop whining about it.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#27
vlado_e posted...
This is why I'm always amazed at the people who think they would be never be able to pick up PC gaming. Even though they are already way more proficient in both using a computer and gaming than my father was. Not to mention likely younger than him.

My father isn't even some world renowned genius - he is just a normal guy.

This applies to most things really...some people are just afraid of new things/the unknown, or are annoyed when they don't acclimate instantly. If you have any degree of hand-eye coordination, you can learn to use the keyboard/mouse, after all, you didn't acclimate to controllers instantly, it took time before the button layout etc. was second nature.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#28
JKatarn posted...
This applies to most things really...some people are just afraid of new things/the unknown, or are annoyed when they don't acclimate instantly.

Well, yeah, I can understand being afraid of the unknown, but PC gaming isn't that. It's certainly different from consoles but it's definitely not unknown - you already know how to play games, while my father was entirely new (well, to video games - he was proficient at stuff like chess and card games) and having knowledge of how to operate a PC to at least a basic level is pretty much universal nowadays. You don't have to try to figure out stuff like how to move in 3D space in a game. Yes, a controller and a mouse make the movement different but have you seen people who have to figure it out for the first time? It's awkward for them regardless of what input mode is used. Being familiar with how to actually play makes the acclimatisation vastly simpler.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: HyruleHero

HyruleHero
1 month ago#29
Been PC gaming for about three years and I still barely use M+KB. Pretty much every game today supports controllers, so I just didn’t find a need to get use to M+KB.

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#30
I use both. I couldn't imagine playing Dark Souls on PC with KB&M. Most shooters I couldn't imagine playing with a controller. That being said, there are several game where I use both at the same time. Controller for the run and mouse for the gun, so to speak. With a G502 programmed for most of the keyboard specific buttons I need to access while my other hand is occupied with a controller it works very well for certain games.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is PC Gaming worth exploring if I'm completely hopeless when it comes to M+KB?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived