This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is your phone your primary PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is your phone your primary PC?

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
1 month ago#51
No, I wouldn't consider it my main PC, but it is the device I casually browse the internet on the most these days. That being said, I'm currently using my desktop which I would consider my main PC.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
1 month ago#52
unknown_VS posted...
arstos posted...
I hadn't really thought of it that way, but yes I suppose it has become my main computer.

Shopping online
Paying bills online
Checking email
Web browsing
Looking up maps for trips, local or out of town
Watching YouTube or other video sites
Emulation
Applying rom hacks and translations

All things I used to have to turn on my pc to do, that I frequently do on my phone these days.

Pc used to be on every day, but now it goes days without being switched on, usually only when I want to play a pc game.

Heh, exactly. PC's are dinosaurs, especially the OS is a huge mess... Android is much lighter and easier to use with less restrictions. Idk about ios, but I don't think it's as good from what I'm reading (unless unlocked)

android is a huge joke of an operating system. your quad core 2 ghz phone will be obsolete on next version of android. battery gets drain if your not careful.

i tested out the google pixel for 6 months. everything gets impaired over the period of time as if it can age. at least ios stay fast much longer.

tbh android phones get slow over time on purpose to get people upgrading every 6 months.

i could stay satisfy with a win 7 pc for 4 to 6 years with a i7 2700k.

note that i got iphone 6 on 2014 and tested pixel for 6 months and switch back to iphone. pixel is my first and my last android phone.
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.

User Info: ilikehamandhalo

ilikehamandhalo
1 month ago#53
su27Chaos posted...
unknown_VS posted...
arstos posted...
I hadn't really thought of it that way, but yes I suppose it has become my main computer.

Shopping online
Paying bills online
Checking email
Web browsing
Looking up maps for trips, local or out of town
Watching YouTube or other video sites
Emulation
Applying rom hacks and translations

All things I used to have to turn on my pc to do, that I frequently do on my phone these days.

Pc used to be on every day, but now it goes days without being switched on, usually only when I want to play a pc game.

Heh, exactly. PC's are dinosaurs, especially the OS is a huge mess... Android is much lighter and easier to use with less restrictions. Idk about ios, but I don't think it's as good from what I'm reading (unless unlocked)

android is a huge joke of an operating system. your quad core 2 ghz phone will be obsolete on next version of android. battery gets drain if your not careful.

i tested out the google pixel for 6 months. everything gets impaired over the period of time as if it can age. at least ios stay fast much longer.

tbh android phones get slow over time on purpose to get people upgrading every 6 months.

i could stay satisfy with a win 7 pc for 4 to 6 years with a i7 2700k.

note that i got iphone 6 on 2014 and tested pixel for 6 months and switch back to iphone. pixel is my first and my last android phone.

Wow, a talking anus, how neat.
B**** if you wave then I will surf you

User Info: su27Chaos

su27Chaos
1 month ago#54
at least i admit that iphone 6 and smartphones has some flaws which is the touchscreen typing.

i hate people who just pretend its good when i can see it on the actual product
I like my beer like I like my violence...
Domestic.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
1 month ago#55
At work, I rarely take out my phone unless I get a call from a colleague or I need to make a call. In addition, I spend most of the day staring at an office desktop computer. When I'm not at my office desktop, I'm on my e7470.

For personal use, I have been using my Surface Pro 2 more and more. It's just so portable, I can do everything my e7470 can do but the biggest difference is that the Surface Pro is compact enough that it doesn't look odd taking it out in public. I'm usually too tried to play games on my main desktop PC during the week so it has ben getting little to no use gaming wise. The Surface Pro 2 however has been getting quite a bit. A new edition, Steamworld Dig 2 was installed to it recently and it's fantastic on the SP2.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 || Surface Pro 2 i5.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
1 month ago#56
ilikehamandhalo posted...
Shinkoden posted...
No, and I know it won't be even with my new phone. In my opinion it's basically a gimped PC, which isn't bad but I'd rather use my PC with a bigger screen and proper keyboard.

You can do everything but game, why use a PC unless your ok with sitting at home, in front of a screen for 10+ hours a day.

Usually if I'm not at home I'm doing something besides using my phone for bulls*** stuff unless it's useful like navigation or looking up something on Google. That's just me. I'm either working, driving, with friends/family, or periodically waiting for something and I might use my phone if it's going to be more than a 5 min wait.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#57
No. I despise the press me repeatedly keyboard and tiny screen. I f***ing hate my phone.
I don't give out my mobile #, when people ask I tell them I don't have one and they give me a stare like I just raped them with a tentacle.

My phone exists for outgoing calls only. If it ever rang, I'd freak the hell out and throw it in a river.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
1 month ago#58
I probably could get by with it if I had a bluetooth keyboard, but no; it's very much a supplementary system. Typing anything longer than a handful of sentences is a pain in the neck, the screen is tiny, and the software is generally pretty limited.

rpgian posted...
My phone exists for outgoing calls only. If it ever rang, I'd freak the hell out and throw it in a river.

Do you have a wired home phone? Or do you just not do things like apply for jobs, go to the doctors', etc? I mean, being reachable by phone is kind of important.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

User Info: TheOpposite

TheOpposite
1 month ago#59
No. There is no way in a million years a tiny touchscreen device with limited power and limited compatible programs is going to replace my PC.

My phone serves primarily for calling, texting, listening to music, taking photos and surfing the internet, but only if I'm not at my computer. I can't play any of the games I play on my computer with my phone, nor can I effectively type a document (not with numerous mistakes thanks to the touchscreen). The internet browser is extremely limited in what it can do compared to what my computer can do. Storage on a phone is limited and not expandable, so if you want a lot of music and movies on there it's not happening.

Phones and tablets are wannabe PCs. There is no substitute for the real thing, not with the exact same functionality.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#60
I keep my work/life balance like a nazi. If I'm not on the clock I'm not working or thinking of work. My wife,mother, and sisters can make incoming calls to my cell but they know I almost never answer the thing so don't bother except for the case of an absolute emergency.

I just don't hand it out. I did yrs ago try to keep my mom and wife from having it....wound up with sever burns from the offense they took from it, caved in and gave it to them. They know me well enough to know I'm not a gabber, but apparently not well enough to not take it as a f*** you to them. It wasn't meant as such, so now they have it which is why I pretty much keep it on silent.

As for the doctor, it's simple. I don't go unless I'm half f***ing dying.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is your phone your primary PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived