This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

User Info: ToastyAnakin

ToastyAnakin
1 month ago#1
Couldn't find the whole question in topic title.

If Microsoft did so, would you be okay with a free/paid service that let PC gamers legally play/emulate OG Xbox and 360 games?

Why would I even think of this? Because I notice Sony basically included an emulator in their newer PS3's and you would pay for the license to play the games you wanted.

Now they have you pay a fee to do crappy cloud gaming streaming.

So why not Microsoft so something to allow PC gamers to play those old forgotten xbox OG and 360 games that will never get PC ports like Dead Or Alive 1-4, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

Would you support an idea or be against it?
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
1 month ago#2
Probably easier to say, would you use original Xbox/ 360 emulation on PC if it were available and my answer to that is of course.
If you don't like microtransactions in full priced AAA games, vote with your wallet and don't buy those games.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
1 month ago#3
I feel like Microsoft would half ass it. I'll patiently wait for the dedicated and skilled fan emulator which will eventually come out someday. Until then I'll just play the 360 for those old games.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#4
They would half ass it too no end and charge everyone a monthly fee lol.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Pauken

Pauken
1 month ago#5
Depends. Will it require Windows 10, or will M$ allow for us Windows 7 Greybeards to enjoy our 360 games with zero risk of RRoD?

If the former, no thanks, I'll wait for an open source Xbox/360 emulator that I can run on Linux and/or Windows 7. If the latter, sure, assuming it's reasonably priced and not using streaming BS. (seriously, Sony must be run by insane asylum patients, cause no one else would ever consider streaming superior to just emulating the damn thing, and would actually think a movie about Emojis or a movie about food products having orgies would be worth spending any time on)

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#6
Apparently they are already supposed to be on the job with Win10 and are half assing it. I don't know why they wouldn't if they have the rights/worked out profit sharing. Their emulator tech exists, they seem to want to convert people over to win10, and they'd have something decent to offer on their store for once.

It's happening, but they are half assing it. I doubt they'd ever offer the complete library based on what they have done. I guess they decided they have enough $ or something and decided to hang out at the beach.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
1 month ago#7
It would be great if either:

1. Buy the emulator, the games are free.

or

2. Buy each game individually for a reasonable price (like $10).

It would be dead on arrival if MS tried to charge a subscription.

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
1 month ago#8
kobalobasileus posted...
It would be great if either:

1. Buy the emulator, the games are free.

or

2. Buy each game individually for a reasonable price (like $10).

It would be dead on arrival if MS tried to charge a subscription.

But in order for it to be legal MS would have to charge because they would have to pay royalties to the copyright holder. The second option would make more sense because they (MS) can't give away the games they don't own the rights to.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#9
If it was actually any good, yeah. I wouldn't mind spending $5 to play UC2 on PC with improved resolution and framerate.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
1 month ago#10
If it's given some modicum of quality like Rare Replay, it could be good. I played Banjo Kazooie through that on a friend's 360 a while back and it even extended the draw distance of enemies and objects further than N64 ever did. Stuff like that just felt like the hallmark of quality emulation.

On the flip-side, I remember playing a Majora's Mask emulation on the Game Cube and it had pretty much all the same bugs that the original and third-party emulator did, which made me wonder if Nintendo just told their interns to download a rom off the internet and slap a price tag on it.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived