This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

User Info: Freelance_Wolf

Freelance_Wolf
1 month ago#11
I wouldn't if it's XBox games. I have no interest in any games on those platforms.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#12
Sure, but I'd prefer a service that would allow you to legally purchase MAME/NES/SNES etc. ROMs to use with your emulator of choice. The problem with PC re-releases of console/arcade games is that the emulator used is often pretty terrible compared to the alternatives.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#13
My system already legally emulates old games. Everybody's does. Emulation is legal.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#14
SinisterSlay posted...
My system already legally emulates old games. Everybody's does. Emulation is legal.

If you are using your own BIOS dumps/ISOs/ROMs etc. it is.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
1 month ago#15
If it allows custom internal resolutions, sure

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#16
JKatarn posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

If you are using your own BIOS dumps/ISOs/ROMs etc. it is.

Emulation it's self is legal. Acquiring pirated software is not.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: t0nit0nich0pper

t0nit0nich0pper
1 month ago#17
ToastyAnakin posted...
Couldn't find the whole question in topic title.

If Microsoft did so, would you be okay with a free/paid service that let PC gamers legally play/emulate OG Xbox and 360 games?

Why would I even think of this? Because I notice Sony basically included an emulator in their newer PS3's and you would pay for the license to play the games you wanted.

Now they have you pay a fee to do crappy cloud gaming streaming.

So why not Microsoft so something to allow PC gamers to play those old forgotten xbox OG and 360 games that will never get PC ports like Dead Or Alive 1-4, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

Would you support an idea or be against it?

Yes, I would definitely support that. I would guess that it would be some type of paid service that basically allows you to purchase a license to play the game (which is what I think Steam basically does).

The reason that I like this idea is because those "old forgotten" games you mentioned can actually be quite good sometimes and unfortunately sometimes it can be near impossible to find them.

So, yes, I think that having some sort of paid emulator service either on the newest Xbox or on whatever platform or launcher they're currently using for games (used to be Games for Windows - Live I think) would be a great idea to implement both for them (profit-wise) and for gamers (especially nostalgic gamers who remember all the classics and how great a lot of them were) (entertainment-wise).

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
1 month ago#18
Makes sense to the consumer but it will take a LOT of work for Microsoft to contact all those publishers and negotiate terms.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 || Surface Pro 2 i5.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#19
Kokuei05 posted...
Makes sense to the consumer but it will take a LOT of work for Microsoft to contact all those publishers and negotiate terms.

And if they wanted those XB games on PC, the portjob is easy. Xbox ran a version of Windows and DirectX, rather than a traditional console architecture. Porting between it and PC is super simple.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
1 month ago#20
I'd just need the emulator personally, most of my OG xbox and 360 games are disc based, and for the ones that aren't I still have my 360.

Really, it would just allow me another platform (with possible enhancements) to play on, so I'd be willing to buy the emulator, but not beyond a reasonable price point.

Something like $30 or less I'd be fine with, provided it worked with most games (or at least the ones I'd want to play on it).
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived