This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#21
DarkZV2Beta posted...

And if they wanted those XB games on PC, the portjob is easy. Xbox ran a version of Windows and DirectX, rather than a traditional console architecture. Porting between it and PC is super simple.

Even if the source code still existed (and I'm sure that for most games not ported yet, it doesn't), it's not necessarily easy at all, and there's no such thing as "traditional console architecture" that would meaningfully distinguish PC/XBox from the rest of the consoles. If anything, PS2 had the most unusual architecture of the generation.

Just one example, OG XBox allowed direct access to low level Nvidia GPU functions. The APIs available for PC at the time simply did not permit this, you had to make high level calls and let the drivers break them down into low level steps. So if you're porting a game that makes extensive use of low level GPU functions, you'd have to re-write all of it. Vulkan might help, but it's hard to be sure; the exposed functions aren't necessarily the same as what the XBox used.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
(message deleted)

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
1 month ago#23
As with anything, I don't mind paying people if I'm enjoying their work. I don't have an interest in most older games anymore, but if I could pay $10 to replay an old classic that I did like via official emulation, then yes I'd support that.

It's not really much different than buying a port of an old game on Steam.

On the other side of the coin, if it's not made available to purchase in a modern way, chances are most people will go back to downloading elsewhere.
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#24
You can't do that with XBox/XB360 games. Right now it's either official emulation, or it's nothing.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would you be okay Microsoft had a service that let PC legally emulate old games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived