This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Samsung Odyssey be the best VR headset on release?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will Samsung Odyssey be the best VR headset on release?

User Info: Conker

Conker
1 month ago#1
I’ve always enjoyed VR but outside of a promo Gear VR I didn’t want to invest until the pixels were a bit clearer and the view better overall than what I’d demoed with Cardboard, Gear VR, PSVR, and some other meh headsets. Tried Oculus a while back and honestly can’t recall how much I did or didn’t like it...very brief demo at a Best Buy while waiting for someone.

Thanks to work I have $150 worth of Samsung.com credit and was debating to use it on a couple S8 accessories or something else to just spend the credit before it expires. But now...

For essentially $350 out of pocket, it seems like the best option to get into better quality VR. My only concern then, are there any expectations for even better headsets or rumors that I’d be kicking myself within a few months? Or is Rift/Vice still better in any way?
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
1 month ago#2
I wouldn’t know cause you didn’t list any specs

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
1 month ago#3
Lol, it won't be sold in Europe.

So no, it won't be the best headset on release. It might be better, but when the majority of the world doesn't get to use it, then the HTC Vive will be superior.

f*** off Samsung, you can stick it. Knowing Samsung, the f***ing thing will blow up or go into meltdown like that Samsung Galaxy Note thing.

Not even sure why I'm salty about it actually, I have a Vive and have no intentions of buying something else. The Vive is great, but it's just a toy I play with now and then.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#4
Jason_Hudson posted...
Knowing Samsung, the f***ing thing will blow up or go into meltdown like that Samsung Galaxy Note thing.

Only if they include a battery in it so that you don't need a PC to run it at all... cheap Lithium Polymer batteries have a tendency to explode. Hell, a GOOD lithium polymer battery will burst into flame if it's punctured or overloaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYI2F2zj8Y

(that guy overloaded the battery)

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Windows MR headsets since they're steam VR compatible. I don't know if I'd buy one yet. Here's a video review of one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PdUx2NdVe8

Listening to him talk though makes it sound like he's paid to say all of this. "VR is really hard to set up but Microsoft makes it SO EASY! IT JUST WORKS! ($400 has been deposited in your account)"... Eh. I don't think VR was hard to set up, though I know a few people had a lot of trouble due to their motherboards not prepared to handle all the USB 3.0 ports being used. But he says "it just worked!" a lot like it's magic or something.

"I just plugged it in and clicked my heels 3 times and Gandalf and some IT elves appeared out of nowhere and set everything up perfectly for me!"

He's talking about the Acer headset, not Samsung though. So yeah, I don't know the specs... the only thing I don't really like is the Tracking is done on the headset with cameras... I'd have to try it side by side with the Vive to see if the tracking is anywhere as good.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Conker

Conker
1 month ago#5
Thanks for contributing at least a little bit relevant arleas. I know people like to just sidetrack topics with stupid s*** like not knowing specs or where it’s sold or not. Guess I shouldn’t expect otherwise.

I was hoping to have some feedback from anyone who has tried other headsets and maybe knows a general comparison between the pixel quality of each (like Vive compared to Gear VR or PSVR).

I haven’t tried Vive, but if it looks clearly than others and the Odyssey has a little higher res, higher fov, and better display (OLED, brightness, colors) maybe it’ll be acceptable for me.

If it’s not much better than PSVR or GearVR in display quality, I probably won’t bother.

Nothing else really matters to me personally. It just needs to not look like 480p. Not really concerned with the tracking as long as it works, and setup, space, controllers, etc. aren’t an issue.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#6
Conker posted...
I was hoping to have some feedback from anyone who has tried other headsets and maybe knows a general comparison between the pixel quality of each (like Vive compared to Gear VR or PSVR).

I've seen some reddit threads since if you're looking for actual information, reddit is much better than gamefaqs. Gamefaqs is where you go if you want to be told that your opinion sucks and that you should use your disability money to buy a better one.

Conker posted...
I haven’t tried Vive, but if it looks clearly than others and the Odyssey has a little higher res, higher fov, and better display (OLED, brightness, colors) maybe it’ll be acceptable for me.

I can tell you about the vive at least. I think the biggest flaw is the pentile subpixel arrangement. (I think it's RGBW pentile but I'm not sure). When people complain about the screen door, the pentile subpixel arrangement is what makes it more obvious. If it was RGB it would still be there, but much less noticeable at the same resolution.

However, once you get into the game, you really don't pay attention to the "screen door". Just like if you were standing in front of a real screen door and looking at the house across the street. You'd stop noticing the screen when your focus was elsewhere.

Honestly, unless you can get a really good deal (and you're not willing to pay extra for better) I would wait at least until 1Q 2018 to buy a VR headset. So much is coming out soon that if you buy now you may feel like you wasted your money when the other stuff is released. I mean, if you're too poor to afford the $800ish price the Vive used to be at, then yeah, jump on it when it goes on sale next time (it's $600 now, so maybe it'll go to $500 for Black Friday?). BUT If you have the money to spend on a good headset and you're just waiting, then I'd say keep waiting at least until you see what LG, Pimax 8k and the MR Microsoft headsets look like/sell for...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/samsung-hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8w91r774pdkk

According to that the specs sound pretty good. 2880x1600 (that's probably the combined resolution), AMOLED display, comes with headphones and "dual array mics" which makes me think it'll actually record your voice in stereo as well? Not sure how useful that would be really but it's interesting. And of course two cameras (because that's how it tracks everything). Also $500 isn't a bad price, but it also apparently doesn't work in anything but Windows 10 with the fall creators update. Maybe not a big deal but I like being able to swap to windows 7 if I want.

Compared to the Vive: 2160x1200, headphones separate with headstrap (another $100), only one mic and it's placed right under your nose so hope everyone loves to hear you exhale when you're playing games. Only one built in camera but it's not using it for anything important and you could put tape over it and still play games just fine.

Seems like maybe the Samsung will be slightly clearer but not dramatically so. Worst thing in my opinion about the whole slew of Microsoft MR headsets is that they're relying on cameras to track. Some people have reviewed them saying it's no problem and since you don't have cameras from the computer pointed at you (rift) or base stations it's so much easier, but I'd rather have hand tracking that works independent of what the headset can see.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will Samsung Odyssey be the best VR headset on release?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived