This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In DESPERATE Need To Upgrade PC. What Parts Should I Upgrade?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In DESPERATE Need To Upgrade PC. What Parts Should I Upgrade?

User Info: DumbQuestion

DumbQuestion
1 month ago#1
CPU-Z Validation Link for specific details

https://valid.x86.fr/unxx2p

Have had this desktop for several years. Looking to upgrade. Current Set up is

Monitor: Asus VG248QE
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: I7-4790K
Motherboard:Gigabyte H97
Ram:A-Data 8 GB Ram[4X2]

In terms of priority, what would you say are the most needed things to currently upgrade right now? For GPU I'm thinking of getting a 1070, but I'm not sure if It's needed to upgrade my CPU. Would like to upgrade Monitor, ideally for it to be 144hz

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
1 month ago#2
I have a 1080 and it's fine at 1440p on the 4790k.

I would upgrade to the 1070 (or 1080 if you have the money) and 16GB (2x8) RAM.

If you're after 1440p or above, I would recommend a 1080, though a 1070 may be fine. I would strongly recommend to go to Digital Foundry's channel on Youtube and look up the 1070 benchmarks, since they test them on higher resolutions.

You might also benefit from an overclock (if not done already) on your 4790k. You'll probably want better cooling for that though (I'd recommend a closed loop cooler like Corsair's H110 GT)
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: footballmanager

footballmanager
1 month ago#3
I'd go with more RAM

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
1 month ago#4
Why are you in desperate need of an upgrade? Your computer is fine. If you're not able to get 144Hz in the games you play, though, a GPU upgrade would do you the most good. Get the most expensive one you can afford.

Edit: Also the monitor you listed as having already is 144Hz. Did you list the one you wanted to upgrade to?
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: Fate8

Fate8
1 month ago#5
More ram should be the first thing you do.
Thats because you touch yourself at night.

User Info: Riot55555

Riot55555
1 month ago#6
Desperate need? I'm still rocking a 2500k and 680gtx. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find an 8700k in stock, but once I can finally order one I'm gonna buy the rest of the parts. But ughhhh it's impossible.
youtube.com/riot55 ~~ twitch.tv/riot12345
Competitive Global Elite CS:GO, Hearthstone, Street Fighter gameplay, tutorials and more!

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#7
Fate8 posted...
More ram should be the first thing you do.

This. 8GB is considered just the bare minimum for gaming today, upgrading to 16GB will reduce stuttering and improve your minimum framerate in ram intensive games.

Also, you said you're aiming for 144fps, is your monitor 1080p or 1440p? 16:9 or Ultrawide? If it's just 1080p then a GTX 1070 will be more than enough.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#8
dude, get an SSD.. a 512 SSD sata is like less than $200 last i checked. ..

or, .. more ram.. but i would forgo getting another two 4GB modules ram, and pay more to get two 8GB modules ram.. but it depends on if you are the type to stay with your mobo for a while, or not. if the former, get 2x8, if the latter, get 2x4

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#9
jjyiz28 posted...

or, .. more ram.. but i would forgo getting another 4x4 gb ram, and pay more to get 8x8 gb ram.. but it depends on if you are the type to stay with your mobo for a while, or not. if the former, get 8x8, if the latter, get 4x4

You mean 2x8, right? Because unless you're encoding and editing 4k 60fps video, 8x8 (64GB) is WAY overkill for gaming.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#10
HeliosMagi posted...
jjyiz28 posted...

or, .. more ram.. but i would forgo getting another 4x4 gb ram, and pay more to get 8x8 gb ram.. but it depends on if you are the type to stay with your mobo for a while, or not. if the former, get 8x8, if the latter, get 4x4

You mean 2x8, right? Because unless you're encoding and editing 4k 60fps video, 8x8 (64GB) is WAY overkill for gaming.

lolz yea.. either two 4GB modules , or if you don't change out your mobo often, two 8GB modues.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In DESPERATE Need To Upgrade PC. What Parts Should I Upgrade?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived