This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU overclock won't stay at 4.6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU overclock won't stay at 4.6

User Info: xboxwii4

xboxwii4
1 month ago#1
I have my 4799k set at 4.6ghz but when I stress test or game it seems to go past that by 100mhz. Any ideas how to stop this? I have a gigabyte z97 g1 gaming 3 board
Life is hard, its even harder if you're stupid.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#2
Get Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and check your turbo clocks.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
1 month ago#3
hey thats really not that bad of a problem!

i guess unless youre voltage wont support it and it crashes, or it gets too hot. otherwise hey, its running faster, no complaints right?!

on my gigabye z97-hd3 i run my 4690k @ 4.6 ghz with a positive offset so i can still run power saving features when its not being used much and itll never get over 1.23 volts when im under load. its a fairly decent overclocker and im running on air, and i know theres people with chips who have a hard time being stable at 4.5 ghz with even a bit higher voltage so i guess i done okay at the time when i bought it.

sometimes when i run hwmonitor in the background ill notice my clock frequencies go up to 4644 mhz, my voltage never exceeds my offset. even though all i did was ramp up the clock multiplier, and the cache speeds and voltages, so i dont know why it exceeds the speed i set it for. my gpu does that too sometimes and goes well above its boost speed.

if im running torture tests quite often ill notice itll go a little bit above 4600 mhz. in my own world, i would imagine that setting the clock ratio for my cores to 46 would have locked them to 4.6 ghz, but this has not always been the case. 99% of the time when i'm under load it will be exactly 4.6 ghz or sometimes 4599 mhz, but every now and again ill see the max readouts on hwmonitor and theyll be a little over. if i do a torture test with aida64 or ibt or prime95 its pretty much sure to clock over. i still cant figure out why that is either. maybe its an offset voltage i dont know, but i only started using it once i had my OC dialed in, and it took me a while after just to notice my clock speeds were a little higher than what they should have been.

maybe its just like **** you thats why! i do what i wanna do!!

but yeah as to why it does that i really dont know. but i dont think its really that bad, as long as the voltage is still stable. cant really complain about that. its a good problem to have if youre trying to squeeze out an extra frame or two!
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: blly155

blly155
1 month ago#4
i have no idea why that is but if you're getting 4.7GHz instead of 4.6GHz then that's good, right? as long as your temps/voltages are safe then don't worry.
PS4 (Slim), PC (i7-6700K, 16GB, GTX 1070).

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#5
That is really terrible advice. If the clockspeed is going over what it's set to, it suggests that something is set wrong, or there's a piece of the system that isn't stable. For example, what controls the multiplier could be unstable, causing it to jump from 46 to 47. This might seem fine at first, but it's a sign something is going wrong with that part, and when a part errors, it can cause microdamage to that part.
I read a paper on the affects of CPU errors on continued CPU reliability, and after an error occurs while overclocked, it's significantly more likely for that error to occur again, even at a previously stable frequency. Each time the error happens, it becomes more and more common.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: xboxwii4

xboxwii4
1 month ago#6
I just don’t know if this will cause stability issues with my overclock.
Life is hard, its even harder if you're stupid.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU overclock won't stay at 4.6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived