This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it easy to set up and tear down an HTC Vive setup?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it easy to set up and tear down an HTC Vive setup?

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
1 month ago#1
I'm "borrowing" one from a friend (more like paying for it first then giving it to him once he pays me back) so I'd like to try it while it's in my possession.
DorkLink said I could borrow his signature so I did (see below):

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
1 month ago#2
Yes and no. If you have 2 tripods, which can reach 7ft+, then it's easy to setup and tear down. If not, then you have to drill 4 holes at 2 places in the room for the sensors.

Solid Sonic
1 month ago#3
I think I could cobble together something. I have some tripods and I can just borrow those for the time being as my Kinect isn't getting any use while I wait for the XB1X.

User Info: desert_santa

desert_santa
1 month ago#4
Can't remember what I did exactly the first time. Now I just put the sensors on top of shelves and cabinets since they are on opposite sides of the room. Works fairly well.

Then you just need to install Steam VR. Plug in the cables for the headset. Wait for the drivers to install. Not sure if I had to plug the sensors into my PC first(don't think I did).

Assuming controllers are charged. Calibrate settings like centre of space, floor level and size of play area.

Took me like half an hour I think. Easy to take down. Have fun if you use it!
It's not about the hardware in your hands, it's the software in your hearts.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
1 month ago#5
Silvererazor posted...
Yes and no. If you have 2 tripods, which can reach 7ft+, then it's easy to setup and tear down. If not, then you have to drill 4 holes at 2 places in the room for the sensors.

just use sticky putty @_@
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#6
I built a pair of stands for a friend who was renting a house while he was in college and couldn't put holes in the walls. It cost maybe $10 total. I just bought a few 1x4 furring strips, a pair of hinges, and a pair of hasps. If you're not worried about the stands being super portable you can skip the hinges and hasps, he wanted to be able to fit it in the back seat of his car though. I cut 4 42" strips from the boards, 4 18" strips, and 4 more little pieces whose measurements I don't exactly remember but can tell you how to find, they can also mildly vary depending on your lumber so it's best to just figure it out on your own.

From the 42" strips I used the hinges and hasps to combine them into two 7' strips that were able to fold in the center. If you don't care about portability you can just cut them 7' to begin with.

The 18" strips I cut with 45 degree angles on one end and nailed those two pieces together to make a 90 degree angle. From there I cut one more piece that was as long as the boards were wide, basically a square (I think it was 3 and 3/4 inches since I was using planed lumber) and then one more piece twice as long as the boards were thick (about 1 1/2 inches) and used these to make a slot for the folding pieces to fit into. Repeat to make the second base. Before nailing everything together I also cut 45 degree angles about halfway down the base strips just to make them look a bit better.

After that we just screwed the light house bases to the tops of the long strips and then set them up in the corners of the room. Setting them up only took a few minutes. If I were to do it all again I'd probably just use screws for everything since the nails started to work loose after several setups.

I've got some pictures so I'll try to find them to add here since I'm sure I did a terrible job of describing the bases.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
(message deleted)

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#8
I move my Vive set from my house to my friend's house every other Friday night. It is not that bad once you get used to it.

For my friend's house, his basement has ceiling tiles. My dad had a few clips that mount wireless routers to the rails. I put something together to attach the wall mounts to the ceiling tile rails.

Prior, I have a pair of 4 foot video camera tripods. We set them up on tables we moved out of the way to get the remaining height.

For my home setup, I have a pair of 9 foot tension shower curtain rods and pipe clip camera mounts.

Once you set up permanent mount locations, moving the HTC Vive set from house to house is quite easy. I have found it easier than Oculus Rift. You put the cameras in opposite corners of the VR space sufficiently close enough to a power outlet, and then go to room setup.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#9
Forgot to post these earlier:
https://i.imgur.com/6k6uowM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MukLQ3l.jpg
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

Solid Sonic
1 month ago#10
Got it up and running. I don't seem to have the physical space in my office to use the room scale mode but I seem to be okay with it standing (I may need to set a new center, though).

I'm using two tripods on shelves right now.

Any VR applications? I want Superhot VR but it's $25.

EDIT: Apparently I can get Superhot VR for less because I already own Superhot.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it easy to set up and tear down an HTC Vive setup?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived