This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else notice that South Park: The Fractured But Whole kinda sucks?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone else notice that South Park: The Fractured But Whole kinda sucks?

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#1
It's like they used up all the good jokes for The Stick Of Truth, which was hilarious all the way through. I've only laughed at a few random moments in TFBW and I think I'm near the end. Exploring also seems largely pointless because there's no gear to discover and instead you just find aesthetic customization options and 'artifacts' which are largely interchangeable. Crafting isn't interesting or particularly fleshed out. The moments where you summon a buddy to get you past a spot or unlock something slow things down too much and aren't interesting after the first time. And the whole "Social Justice Warrior" thing they keep running with could have been funny but consistently misses the mark and instead just ended up looking like a real-life Facebook feed (which is more annoying than funny). Plus, random encounters are more annoying now because of the beefed up combat system, although the new combat system does make bigger fights a bit more interesting.

What does everybody else think? I went in with really high expectations after the last game was amazing but it seems like the writers really dropped the ball on this one, and gameplay-wise they should have just gone with Obsidian again instead of this random Ubi-studio.

User Info: movuzzo

movuzzo
3 weeks ago#2
so it's like comparing fallout new vegas and fallout 4.
With or without obsidian. You know the answer though...

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 weeks ago#3
It's southpark.........
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Cool_Dude667

Cool_Dude667
3 weeks ago#4
I was expecting worse tbh, but mediocrity is a horrible fate aswell.
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: _Marka_Ragnos_

_Marka_Ragnos_
3 weeks ago#5
I'm enjoying it a lot. I've legitimately laughed out loud a ton of times already and I hate the new episodes.
My system: http://m.imgur.com/a/la41r

User Info: Laocedric16

Laocedric16
3 weeks ago#6
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
I'm enjoying it a lot. I've legitimately laughed out loud a ton of times already and I hate the new episodes.

It's a hit or miss.

was a miss for me as well, although there are some chuckle moments.
http://i.imgur.com/G5cHOPX.jpg

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 weeks ago#7
Actually, I agree. I've no problem with the humour in it - I've laughed a decent amount - but the gameplay is s***.

Aside from recycling a lot of stuff from Stick of Truth (SoT), especially the fart humour, the whole walking around collecting stuff for crafting is so tedious. Combat feels slow, though it is at least more in depth.

Then there's the whole DLC thing for an already pretty short game. It's clear that Obsidian made the better game. This is just some s*** from Ubisoft that doesn't even come close.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 weeks ago#8
At this point Obsidian has left 2 high profile franchises, only to have them degrade after leaving. You’d think publishers would start to notice this trend. Hell go look at the quote put on their wiki:

We have to answer to players, no matter what. When you work for a publisher, you have to answer to both, and the two of them may not see eye-to-eye. I'd rather the player pay me directly for something they want, and I'd rather talk with them throughout the process to make sure i’m delivering something they want as well

This is what you get with Obsidian, and it’s what is lacking when a company like this isn’t in control.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#9
Jason_Hudson posted...
Actually, I agree. I've no problem with the humour in it - I've laughed a decent amount - but the gameplay is s***.

I'm getting the impression that most people find it funny and I guess I'm just missing the jokes. I would actually have tolerated the bad gameplay if the game made me laugh but for the most part it doesn't, and that's what really bothers me about it.

Gameplay-wise, I'm feeling even more negative about the battle system now that I've finished the game (which dragged on after I thought it would have concluded). I like the ideas it introduces, but for the most part the only times you get to actually use any of the interesting combat elements is during fights with trash mobs where you don't even need them. The boss fights are pretty much the only situations that would actually call for strategy but most bosses are immune to push/pull, freeze, charm, confuse, and sometimes shock/burning/bleeding/grossed out so you're basically just going to get in formation and smash away at them with a tank up front and healer in the back. Except for the battle against genetically mutated alternate Human Kite where the entire battle consists of running away and burning through consumable healing items for the first time in the game while waiting to be able to exploit that battle's specific fart gimmick.

At least I get to vent about it on a message board.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#10
movuzzo posted...
so it's like comparing fallout new vegas and fallout 4.
With or without obsidian. You know the answer though...

Wait, did Obsidian not do any work on the newest South Part game?
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone else notice that South Park: The Fractured But Whole kinda sucks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived