This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 weeks ago#31
Fade2black001 posted...
At least with Windows you can permanently turn them off

Sure if you want to run an out of date system full of security holes.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: ghost140

ghost140
3 weeks ago#32
Dragon Nexus posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
At least with Windows you can permanently turn them off

Sure if you want to run an out of date system full of security holes.

Which is not as scary as you think it is. Unless you run a business off said computer then yes its better to keep that crap on.
"Why is basic healthcare like irony? Americans don't get it."
- Yahtzee

User Info: xxBurnedManxx

xxBurnedManxx
3 weeks ago#33
no you are right its really dump. people with slow internet are force to update a game that has multiplayer updates and must update just so they can play single player it happens to me all the time with dark soul n fighting games
burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me -
https://www.g2a.com/r/user-5773b2b5edc1b

User Info: xxBurnedManxx

xxBurnedManxx
3 weeks ago#34
ZeroCharge posted...
arleas posted...
How exactly does that work? It was my understanding that the game has to be fully updated before you go to offline mode...so if you see an update available and you switch to offline mode, it used to tell you that you had to update or that the game was not ready.

Simple, all my games are set to only update when launched, but Steam can't update when it's in offline mode. So in the case of Fallout 4, anytime Steam is open Fallout 4 is listed as "Update Required" but if I just switch Steam to offline mode THEN run Fallout 4 it just runs it normally without updating anything.

but if did tried to do the update we it auto updating by it self you will not be able play it unless update is complete even if the update was at 0.23% u will not be allowed to play
burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me -
https://www.g2a.com/r/user-5773b2b5edc1b

User Info: Somato

Somato
3 weeks ago#35
How dare they make games better, i want to just keep the broken original version of them....

Tosspots
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#36
Somato posted...
How dare they make games better, i want to just keep the broken original version of them....

Tosspots

or worse but still not being able to have an option to turn it off is really stupid
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: sarevokmb

sarevokmb
3 weeks ago#37
Steam is DRM. It has slowly evolved into a storefront as well, but its primary purpose is, and always will be to serve as a layer of DRM. Of course it doesn't let you go offline for long. That would counter the whole original idea behind it.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 weeks ago#38
sarevokmb posted...
Of course it doesn't let you go offline for long.

That's not really the complaint here. Nor is it even true.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: ZeroCharge

ZeroCharge
3 weeks ago#39
xxBurnedManxx posted...
ZeroCharge posted...
arleas posted...
How exactly does that work? It was my understanding that the game has to be fully updated before you go to offline mode...so if you see an update available and you switch to offline mode, it used to tell you that you had to update or that the game was not ready.

Simple, all my games are set to only update when launched, but Steam can't update when it's in offline mode. So in the case of Fallout 4, anytime Steam is open Fallout 4 is listed as "Update Required" but if I just switch Steam to offline mode THEN run Fallout 4 it just runs it normally without updating anything.

but if did tried to do the update we it auto updating by it self you will not be able play it unless update is complete even if the update was at 0.23% u will not be allowed to play

Again, if you read what I posted literally NONE of my games auto-update on Steam. I don't let them. If I decide it's something I want updated, I manually start the update by clicking on the update button under downloads. The only time I've had games auto-update is when I get a new game and forget to switch it to "Update only when I launch the game", in that case I'll just let it update then switch off auto-updates.
Corsair A540 Cube Case | SABERTOOTH Z97 MK I | i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz | H110i | 16GB Dominator Platinum 1866 | MSI Gaming X 1080Ti | Corsair AX1200 | W10

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#40
ZeroCharge posted...
xxBurnedManxx posted...
ZeroCharge posted...
arleas posted...

Again, if you read what I posted literally NONE of my games auto-update on Steam. I don't let them. If I decide it's something I want updated, I manually start the update by clicking on the update button under downloads. The only time I've had games auto-update is when I get a new game and forget to switch it to "Update only when I launch the game", in that case I'll just let it update then switch off auto-updates.

Valve forces the updates on you even if you have them disabled....
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived