This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
1 month ago#51
Fade2black001 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Then learn to start your steam in offline mode.

Orestes417 posted...
Then learn to start your steam in offline mode.

What if I want to chat to people on my friends list? I can't do that in offline mode

I got news for you buddy. Nothing is perfect in this world. You weigh your pros against your cons and you make your decisions from there. Stop being so whiny.
yankees ws chizzamps

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#52
Fade2black001 posted...
What if I want to chat to people on my friends list? I can't do that in offline mode

Simple fix. Chat in Discord.... Less simple fix: log in to steam via a web browser and you can chat online that way. Another alternative: use a cell phone or tablet to log in to steam and chat on THAT...
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: 27_Sandman_40

27_Sandman_40
1 month ago#53
arleas posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Simple fix. Chat in Discord.... Less simple fix: log in to steam via a web browser and you can chat online that way. Another alternative: use a cell phone or tablet to log in to steam and chat on THAT...

Good point about Discord. Discord is the future of PC communication, might as well get used to it.
yankees ws chizzamps

User Info: drags_

drags_
1 month ago#54
xxBurnedManxx posted...
no you are right its really dump. people with slow internet are force to update a game that has multiplayer updates and must update just so they can play single player it happens to me all the time with dark soul n fighting games

It is a pain in the ass that you are forced to update in order to play a a game, Doom 6.66 is a 34GB update that is for online stuff only, if you want to play the single player that you already downloaded then you have to wait until you download this multiplayer patch you will never touch.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#55
drags_ posted...
if you want to play the single player that you already downloaded then you have to wait until you download this multiplayer patch you will never touch.

That's another way they keep piracy in check too.

If you update your Multiplayer and make it so that it's required to update to play online, then pirates would have to come up with the new pirated version to stay current enough.

Then again, as you said, Pirates wouldn't have to worry about the update if they just wanted the single player.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
1 month ago#56
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
unknown_VS posted...
A lot of times updates make performance worse in my experience

Do please give the multiple examples of this happening to you.

This happened off and on with GTAV, when I had a Kepler card. 1080p and about 50fps constant at ultra settings minus grass and advanced settings, several updates made the game worse, and then better, then worse, went back and fourth several times, often times you had to wait until the next official patch before a fix if it wasn't close to game breaking.

A lot of games have issues like this. When you have a high end GPU though, these are not things you would notice. That's something to remember. People with mid-high end GPUs are going to notice the most when their performance takes a hit more often than not. Someone who plays at 60fps with certain things tweaked, suddenly will have to re adjust and lower things they never had to before. People like me now using like a 1080/Ti aren't going to notice 15-20 frames at 100fps unless we have a counter running, or are legitimately looking for it.

It's obviously not every game, but many games, especially AAA titles in recent years.

This is sooo true as a GTX 780 user. also the same issues happen with driver updates. Don't know how but on this current driver Multi-Monitor use is unusable because the desktop performance is terrible for me. Moving windows etc. give me extreme stutters. Don't know which driver update caused this issue however so I can't fix it

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
1 month ago#57
Fade2black001 posted...
steve_madsci posted...
You can disable auto-updates, you just can't go online without the latest updates.

How do you imagine an online software platform could provide service to every one of its clients if those clients were allowed to use old versions going back 14 years?

Every single update Steam puts out could potentially break the service for those using an older version.
Why would a service subject itself to the headaches of having an option: "Uncheck this box to break your software"?

Exactly, which is stupid

How is that stupid?
You do realize that most games in the history of forever have not let you mismatch version numbers when trying to play online, right?

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#58
ghost140 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
At least with Windows you can permanently turn them off

Sure if you want to run an out of date system full of security holes.

Which is not as scary as you think it is. Unless you run a business off said computer then yes its better to keep that crap on.

Yeah just like failing to get vaccinations is only a bad idea if you live in crowded areas...
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#59
Masamune_DS posted...
At what point does that become an issue?

The point when updates introduce unwanted changes to game mechanics/balance (Borderlands 2), significant bugs (Skyrim), and/or incompatibility with desired third-party mods and programs (Bethesda games, Diablo 2). Hell, automatic/forced updates can become an issue when they force Steam to re-check game files and "restore" any unwanted video, localization, or "redist" files you might have deleted.

Heisenberg312 posted...
So, at the end of it all, it's just another uneducated gamer ...
Nor understanding why patches are needed to fix the game so it doesn't break.

So no "educated" gamer would ever want to not use the most current version of a game even if the latest patch introduces changes that they abhor, and no "educated" gamer would ever want to learn about a patch before it's applied to their game?

Heisenberg312 posted...
Now with the budgets for video games getting higher and higher

And a good chunk of that is with developers and, especially, publishers, not the gamers, and as such it really shouldn't be made the gamers' problem either.

saltedham posted...
path of exile had a big performance update added to it.

Online-only games have a somewhat different standard for updates in that developers, as the ones running the game servers, have every right to dictate what version is used. They don't really have that right when it comes to offline games.

Also, any performance "updates" in Path of Exile, and many games really, are circumstantial at best. In my experience, the DX11 beta code pre-2.4 was indeed a solid performance boost, but when it went "live" with 2.4 it actually degraded game performance, often severely, in many circumstances, and everything since has been fairly marginal and just served to regain performance ground lost with 2.4.

Fade2black001 posted...
At least with Windows you can permanently turn them off

It's just a shame that completely disabling update services isn't actually a solution. If you want Borderlands or Microsoft Office always kept up to date but want to review and even prevent updates for Borderlands 2 or your graphics card then you should have that option, but (with Windows 10 for Windows Update) you don't.

Orestes417 posted...
Anything that has an online component not only can but should be forcing you to update.

I disagree, especially considering how open-ended "an online component" is. Thanks to Bethesda's incorporation of their first-party mod service, and now their Credit Card fiasco waiting to happen, Fallout 4 has "an online component." Fallout 4 has zero multiplayer component, much less being an online-only game, and subsequently has no business being forcibly updated without player consent.

Even games with multiplayer components have no business auto-updating if they aren't client/server or online-only titles. If folks want to play a Borderlands 2 version pre-Bee nerf then let them, even if that means that they can only play with the two or three dozen other people that might still be playing that version.

Orestes417 posted...

No benefit to anyone, aside from hackers, to allow multiple client versions to exist in an online environment simultaneously. Patch your s*** promptly or don't play until you do.

So people who play Skyrim with SKSE, Fallout 4 with F4SE, and so on shouldn't play at all until new versions of the appropriate Script Extender is released? People playing Diablo 2 with PlugY or MeridianXL shouldn't play at all until the program/mod is updated to work with the latest version? Folks who just want an OP Bee in Borderlands 2 are "hackers?"
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#60
Hexenherz posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
steve_madsci posted...
You can disable auto-updates, you just can't go online without the latest updates.

How do you imagine an online software platform could provide service to every one of its clients if those clients were allowed to use old versions going back 14 years?

Every single update Steam puts out could potentially break the service for those using an older version.
Why would a service subject itself to the headaches of having an option: "Uncheck this box to break your software"?

Exactly, which is stupid

How is that stupid?
You do realize that most games in the history of forever have not let you mismatch version numbers when trying to play online, right?

Yes but as another person said what if you don't want to play online and are forced to download a MP only update and its massive like the 34GB update for DOOM someone mentioned earlier and you are f***ed... 34GB for an update is beyond crazy
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can program like Steam (used by millions) not have a single simple option of

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived