This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i wish if steam can let you review a game with out commenting

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i wish if steam can let you review a game with out commenting

User Info: Jules Rules

Jules Rules
1 month ago#11
yohabroha posted...
the only problem i think they'd have is that it would be too easy to flip your vote. if something changes in a game a year after launch or some developer gets in trouble with harassment or something and people want to overreact and review-bomb it, its just a click of a button. at least with the current system you have to go through the effort to post a review, which will filter out some of the mob mentality masses.

Games already get review bombed if something bad pops up - GTA V, Fallout 4, etc. It wouldn't really matter too much.

PSN does a quick thumbs up, I dunno if Xbox does. Steam needs it. Sometimes I want to recommend a game quick but I can't be bothered writing anything.
What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#12
Jules Rules posted...
yohabroha posted...
the only problem i think they'd have is that it would be too easy to flip your vote. if something changes in a game a year after launch or some developer gets in trouble with harassment or something and people want to overreact and review-bomb it, its just a click of a button. at least with the current system you have to go through the effort to post a review, which will filter out some of the mob mentality masses.

Games already get review bombed if something bad pops up - GTA V, Fallout 4, etc. It wouldn't really matter too much.

PSN does a quick thumbs up, I dunno if Xbox does. Steam needs it. Sometimes I want to recommend a game quick but I can't be bothered writing anything.

Review bombing occurrences rising has meant that people now focus on how severe the review bombs are. 5,000 people posting negative reviews in the last 48 hours? par for the course. 25,000 players downvoting a game in that time? now we've got some traction. if you just let everyone do it with one click, the tendency to hop in on trends, whether positive or negative, will increase.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#13
A long time ago you used to be able to just thumb a game up or down. Actually A long time ago you used to only be able to thumb a game up and there WAS no down. They weren't called reviews back then, it was "Recommendations".

I'd like to be able to write a review without thumbing it UP OR DOWN...Sometimes I don't feel strongly enough about it to say one way or the other. So now if I feel like that, I either have to pick a side (which results in people voting "unhelpful" because I said a bunch of nice stuff, and also said a bunch of negative stuff, and still rated it down).

Anyway... Reviews are only really useful when they're honest appraisals of a game, and you'd THINK nobody would have any reason to be dishonest about reviewing a game they bought, but they're out there! Oh and Helpful means "I agree with his opinion" and unhelpful means "I disagree". Funny means "the whole thing is bulls***".

What would be cool is if we could actually have an "i agree" button and then if you and Person A seemed to agree on a lot of stuff, then Steam could suggest games that Person A had that Person B didn't have.

Alternately steam friends should have a compatibility rating: If you share a lot of the same interests (by a ratio of time spent playing certain games, not merely owning them) then steam could also use that as a guide to suggest games to you.

I'm gonna go write up the suggestion to Valve now.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#14
i like the steam review how it stands right now. simplifying the reviews would make it more useless than helpful. i have a few steam reviews under my belt, and i try to be succinct and fair about it; i don't care if i get some downvotes on my reviews. its my review, its my opinion, even if its not my personal taste, i usually do state if you like this type of game then go for it.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#15
jjyiz28 posted...
i usually do state if you like this type of game then go for it.

That could be the text of every single review ever.

"👎 Not Recommended
0.2 hours played
If you like this kind of game, go for it!"
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
1 month ago#16
All my reviews are either:

. 👍 Or . 👎

My reviews are mostly downvoted for lack of text, some people even rage hard about it on the comments.

Personally when I read most reviews it's either by written by a comedian, someone who has nothing but crashes and tells me which game I should buy instead, or someone who thinks it's the best game ever with barely any hours played. None of which helps me.

I have a look at the percentage of positive reviews and check the steam forums for individual discussions about issues to get an idea what's happening. Also researching from a lot of different avenues, not just Steam.

I agree that hours played is great to see. Comments should be optional. System specs added would also be nice. I also like the new chart. Overall I like how it is now, but a quick thumbs up/down should be an option.

User Info: xxBurnedManxx

xxBurnedManxx
1 month ago#17
Setzera posted...
All my reviews are either:

. 👍 Or . 👎

My reviews are mostly downvoted for lack of text, some people even rage hard about it on the comments.

Personally when I read most reviews it's either by written by a comedian, someone who has nothing but crashes and tells me which game I should buy instead, or someone who thinks it's the best game ever with barely any hours played. None of which helps me.

I have a look at the percentage of positive reviews and check the steam forums for individual discussions about issues to get an idea what's happening. Also researching from a lot of different avenues, not just Steam.

I agree that hours played is great to see. Comments should be optional. System specs added would also be nice. I also like the new chart. Overall I like how it is now, but a quick thumbs up/down should be an option.

maybe they played offline? we have no way of knowing
burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me -
https://www.g2a.com/r/user-5773b2b5edc1b
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i wish if steam can let you review a game with out commenting

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived