This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help my newbie ass upgrade my PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help my newbie ass upgrade my PC?

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
1 month ago#11
DarkAssAssIn051 posted...
any of these builds will be a complete wast of money your not gonna be gaming at any reasonable fps at modern games and thoese cpus you listed all of them would be bottlenecking modern graphics cards

Yeah, pretty much. You aren't getting much more than what you already have with your proposed upgrades. Your money is better off spent saving for more modern hardware.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#12
i7 920 or i7 870 would be the way to go. That Xeon is just too expensive for such old hardware.

You really don't want to spend much for such old hardware however. An old i7 system would fit nicely with a 1050 Ti, but it's old and will also need replacing sooner or later, perhaps it'll be viable for 30 FPS target until the next gen consoles come.

If a PS4 game costs 100 AUD, I would want 100-150 AUD to include everything. It's seven to eight years old hardware.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: KoRnKoB

KoRnKoB
1 month ago#13
Ok thanks, I will just ignore all of that.

I am not so much as upgrading the PC, but upgrading what I have... So yes, most builds will be better. Though having said that, my current system plays pretty much anything that was released on PS3 and Xbox 360, smoothly and well enough.

Also, does anyone know of a site that is good for picking and comparing parts with Australian prices? Pcpartpicker is very, very wrong with most prices on the Australian site.
PSN: PrincePAUL87 | http://www.backloggery.com/princepaul87
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/princepaul87

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#14
if you overclock the Q6600 to 3.6GHz you might be able to play current gen games. (but if your mobo/psu/HSF doesn't allow then I wouldn't bother in investing in additional equipment to o/c).
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#15
DarkAssAssIn051 posted...
why upgrade an outdated pc with outdated parts?

The answer?
KoRnKoB posted...
Australian

I guess we should be impressed that he's not trying to communicate on the internet via smoke signals and didgeridoo music.

I mean, no disrespect for the TC... I know everything in Australia is crazy expensive (even worse than Canada). I'm amazed he could even find anywhere to buy these outdated parts, but again.... Australia.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#16
KoRnKoB posted...

I am not so much as upgrading the PC, but upgrading what I have... So yes, most builds will be better. Though having said that, my current system plays pretty much anything that was released on PS3 and Xbox 360, smoothly and well enough.

Also, does anyone know of a site that is good for picking and comparing parts with Australian prices? Pcpartpicker is very, very wrong with most prices on the Australian site.

how exactly is it wrong, i don't know too much about how it all operates in australia. does the price change when you actually click on the vendor? are they not including some egregious tax or import cost?
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Andreas2402

Andreas2402
1 month ago#17
tell us what you want to play in which settings/resolution, your budget and then we can help.
The bigger the lie, the more they believe

User Info: xer2000

xer2000
1 month ago#18
Alright TC since you seem absolutely incapable of, well, research apparently. Go back to logical increments and look for the tab that allows you to change your region. I know things are a bit dated in AUS, but you couldn't have recessed that far back in the gene pool
i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X, 32 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#19
KoRnKoB posted...
So I have a rather old system, though it has been holding up well with most games I've been wanting to catch up on. The main problem I come to though is the CPU being insufficient for many games... I know the GPU is old too, but it seems to still manage with a lot of modern games and I feel I can save a bit of cash now if I save upgrading that for later on.

The main thing I am unsure about is what a good CPU and/or motherboard to upgrade to. *TRYING TO GO AS REASONABLY PRICED AS POSSIBLE*

So, I will list what I've got right now, and I will list a few things I've looked at (likely 2nd hand mind you!) and the prices they're listed at.

Current parts:

-Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
-Asus PQ something motherboard (not entirely sure how I can check this as I type...)
-Geforce GTX 650 Ti (Hoping to upgrade this later down the track to save money now)
-8GB RAM
-1TB HDD

So yea, nothing special but I don't play modern games on it... Yet....

What I'm looking at:

--------MOTHERBOARD + CPU COMBO--------
- $100 Gigabyte P55-US3L + i5 650 3.46Ghz + Deepcool Cooler
- $120 Gigabyte P55-US3L + i5 750 3.20Ghz + Deepcool Cooler
- $360 Asus P6X58D Premium (as new) + Xeon X5650 6C/12T ***

--------CPU--------
- $20 Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz (LGA1156) 2C/4T
- $40 Intel Xeon E5450 3.00Ghz (LGA775) 4C/4T ***
- $50 Intel Core i7 930 3.06Ghz (LGA1366) 4C/8T
- $60 Intel Core i7 870 3.60Ghz (LGA1156) 4C/8T ***

--------CPU COOLER--------
- $5 Silver Thermal Paste 3g
- $25 Dual Heatpipe Blue LED Fan CPU Cooler (95W TDP)
- $25 Dual Heatpipe Red LED Fan CPU Cooler (95W TDP)
- $40 CoolIT ECO III-120FB BitCrane Liquid Cooler
- $50 CRYORIG H5 Universal CPU Cooler (160W TDP) ***
- $60 Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (180W TDP) ***

--------MEMORY DDR3--------
- $15 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
- $35 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- $40 G.Skill Ares 4GB DDR3 1333
- $100 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 6GB DDR3 2000 (3x 2GB) ***
- $140 G.Skill Sniper 16GB Kit DDR3 1333 (4x 4GB) ***
- $140 G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB Kit DDR3 1600 (4x 4GB)
- $160 G.Skill Sniper 16GB Kit DDR3 1600 (2x 8GB) ***

--------MEMORY DDR2--------
- $15 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- $45 Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit DDR2 1066 (2x 2GB) ***
- $45 Team Xtreem Dark 4GB Kit DDR2 1066 (2x 2GB) ***

--------STORAGE--------
- $40 WD Blue 500GB 16MB HDD
- $45 WD Black 500GB 64MB HDD
- $55 WD Green 1000GB 32GB HDD
- $60 WD Blue 1000GB 64MB HDD

*PLEASE NOTE, THESE ARE AUSTRALIAN PRICES!*

Just for comparison, PS4 games here are roughly $90-100. Thanks for any advice here guys!

Here you go.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YyyT2R
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#20
KoRnKoB posted...

Are you using au.pcpartpicker.com or just pcpartpicker.com?
pcpartpicker should crawl regional parts sites and provide links to those sites with those prices. It's not always up to date, but it shouldn't be that far off.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help my newbie ass upgrade my PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived