This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I use my new 4k monitor as a second monitor or as my main one ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I use my new 4k monitor as a second monitor or as my main one ?

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
1 month ago#1
Well actually I haven't received it yet I've just bought it yesterday a 32-inch 4k monitor.

Anyway right now I'm using a 24-inch 1080p monitor. At first I thought I was going to use the 4k monitor as a second monitor just for gaming to sit back and to play games with a controller.

It would be cool to use it as my main monitor but the furthest I could put it on my desk is about 2 1/2 feet but I think that's kind of close for a 32-inch even though it's a 4K.

The reason I think is too big is because years ago I used a 32 inch 1080p for six months until I could get something else. At 32 inch 1080p was just too damn big and you could see all the pixels but I had to deal with it at the time.

Do you think a 4K 32 inch at about 2 1/2 away is doable or is it pretty much going to be the same story too big regardless of the resolution ?

So in the end you think I should use it as a second monitor just for gaming and keep my 24" for everything else what would you do ?

I guess I should mention 2 1/2 feet will be when I use a mouse and keyboard for first person shooters like Battlefield and web browsing. All modern games I'm going to be playing with a controller and sitting back.
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#2
Sit where you like as long as you do not get eye strain.

Depends on your GPU

If you have a 1070 GTX stick with the 1080p

If you have a 1080 or 1080ti stick with the 4k for your main while gaming and the 1080p for your second monitor.

I have 2 24" monitors at 1080p and a 3rd if I need it.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

Kano92
1 month ago#3
mucloud posted...
Sit where you like as long as you do not get eye strain.

Depends on your GPU

If you have a 1070 GTX stick with the 1080p

If you have a 1080 or 1080ti stick with the 4k for your main while gaming and the 1080p for your second monitor.

I have 2 24" monitors at 1080p and a 3rd if I need it.

1070 GTX for 1080p is overkill everybody knows that unless only if you play 144fps monitor.
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#4
As someone with a 43" 4k TV 📺
If you use it as your main, but aren't sitting right up in front of it, text is going to be hard to read.

I wound up using 1440p for my main desktop resolution just because it was easiest to read text on steam.

If steam would just scale the text properly it would be fine at 4k.

But yeah, make the 4k your main. Once you get used to how much space you have, you will want it as your main anyway
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Kano92
1 month ago#5
I'm still running Win 7 by the way. How far do you have 43" from you ? So you have it running at 1440p on a 4k ? seems odd. Why don't you just run it at it's native 4k and just use windows to scale it to larger ?
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
1 month ago#6
As someone with a 55" 4k TV and 3 4k monitors and many other high resolution devices I say do what is best for you. Try it both ways but do yourself a favor...scale that s***. Why would you want more space when you can have 4x the detail. Space is great...until you look at how sharp text is with proper scaling. If you sit on your computer all day you'd really appreciate it.
The aliens. The Aliens. THE ALIENS!!!!!

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#7
I sit about 3 to 4 feet away. I DID scale all the text up, but as I said before, steam doesn't have any text scaling options so my choice was move closer JUST to read steam or change resolution and have everything comfortable. I guess I had a 3rd option to use the magnify options in windows but that is just lame.

I still use Windows 7 occasionally and windows 10 is the dual boot.

BTW the 1440p thing is ONLY for the desktop. I play games at 4k where they aren't stupid about text or ui scaling.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Kano92
1 month ago#8
Garage_Man posted...
As someone with a 55" 4k TV and 3 4k monitors and many other high resolution devices I say do what is best for you. Try it both ways but do yourself a favor...scale that s***. Why would you want more space when you can have 4x the detail. Space is great...until you look at how sharp text is with proper scaling. If you sit on your computer all day you'd really appreciate it.

Well if I'm reading what you're saying is correct of course I'm going to have to scale it 32in at 4K gives me 137 PPI I believe which I've never seen that high before for myself on a monitor. Probably assuming I'm going to have to scale it from the default small to the large on Windows 7. My eyes aren't the best I probably wouldn't be able read anything if I kept it on default small. I'd love to have as my main monitor at two or three feet away I just don't know if it's doable, I probably should mention about 4 months ago I actually bought a 32 inch 1440p as my main monitor and it was just too big I had to return it so that's why I'm skeptical if a 4K 32 inch would be any better maybe someone could explain to me why it would be better and doable, if a 1440p couldn't do it for me. Thanks for the help
PC-WiiU-PS4

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
1 month ago#9
It might not be better. Only you can decide the fate of the monitor. I would suggest playing around with scale and distance. I would even suggest messing with this for hours until you start to dial in that perfect feeling. It's something most people ignore but once you get used to your ideal setup you'll look back on your old ways and laugh.
The aliens. The Aliens. THE ALIENS!!!!!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I use my new 4k monitor as a second monitor or as my main one ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived