This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Heres something to bring you guys back...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Heres something to bring you guys back...

User Info: coldshadowater

coldshadowater
4 weeks ago#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9iAvepqfLA
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

coldshadowater
4 weeks ago#2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ytrqNhKHM
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 weeks ago#3
I don't remember if I played Hexen 2 or not but I do remember playing the first one at a friends when I was younger back in the 90s.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
4 weeks ago#4
I hated Hexen but never got to try Hexen II. It looks way better than the first
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
4 weeks ago#5
Played only a bit back when shareware was rampant. Do remember playing hexen 64 though. The only game ever to make me motion sick.

Just installed both Hexen and Hexen 2 for a quick nostalgia trip. Thanks TC. Amazing how far 12MB and 47MB used to go back in the day.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
4 weeks ago#6
Is is such a thing to have nostalgia, but for a game one has yet to play? Nostalgia...but from the future? Dun dun dun!! Because I haven't played Hexen 2 yet, but I have a story:

I've always, always been an id-Head, since the only PC I had was a f***ing Gateway PC from 2001 or 2002 that's still running Windows XP SP 1, because, ha ha, no joke, I heard bad things about SP 2 and never upgraded it. I still have it. I just transferred a bunch of old files off it this last week for archival purposes.

But, though I've had a PC since then, I've wanted a gaming PC since about 1990. I was born in 1984. I'm 33. But, my family wasn't the best off, so we could never afford one. But, nonetheless, when I got my Gateway PC in 2001, I think it was, the year before I went to college, I could, for the first time ever, play some of the PC games I had grown up wanting as a kid. ...I could never find the f***ing Heretic/Hexen series available for purchase anywhere near me. Not big box stores, not ma and pa game shops, not Half Price books, and that place used to be a f***ing haven for people's unwanted software back in the physical copy PC days.

But, I had played Wolfenstein 3D (who hadn't, am I right? I mean, my God, I think, no kidding that that and Full Throttle were the first "true" PC games I ever played), Doom, Doom II, and though I had to play it with most settings lowered to moderate and/or low, Doom 3. So, I loved id. They were like gods to me, but the Heretic/Hexen series was that holy grail, that series I'd missed, that, because it was 2001 and the internet was in it's awkward teenage years, and I wasn't computer savvy, and didn't know where to look, had no idea where to find the "id series I'd missed."

Fast forward to 7/18/2014 (I had to check my Steam library for that), to when I bought the whole Heretic/Hexen series on Steam. I still haven't played more than a few hours of the original Heretic yet, due to playing modern games, but...it's finally f***ing mine. After at minimum, 12 years had passed, from 2001 to 2014, from the time I had my first PC, until when I finally had the Heretic/Hexen series in a manner where I could play it.

Sure, in 2014 I only had a laptop at that time (in addition to my then 13 year old Gateway PC, still chugging along just as faithfully then as when I bought it, just like today), and a s*** one for then modern PC gaming, but it could f***ing play there Heretic and Hexen games. And the Quake series, another id series I'd missed. And I knew Quake was always the more popular sibling out of the Doom brothers, but as a fantasy buff, the dark, medieval tone of the Heretic/Hexen games had drawn my most particular fancy since I'd read about them in some obscure gaming magazine, probably Game Fan, back in the '90s.

I'm going to install all the games today. Thank you for reminding me I own them. You're a saint. I can't wait to play through Heretic in full, and then it's sequels in turn, for the first time ever. Wish me well, I'll need it where I'm going...
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
4 weeks ago#7
I still play it almost every year, so I'm already "there".

But thanks for posting this video anyway. I like GGG's reviews a lot, but I oddly missed out on this one.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

coldshadowater
4 weeks ago#8
DV8ingSources posted...
Played only a bit back when shareware was rampant. Do remember playing hexen 64 though. The only game ever to make me motion sick.

Just installed both Hexen and Hexen 2 for a quick nostalgia trip. Thanks TC. Amazing how far 12MB and 47MB used to go back in the day.

Welcome :)

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 weeks ago#9
I always get Hexen and Heretic mixed up.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 weeks ago#10
Wow, Hexen 2. I actually never played the full version of that game but I remember thinking from the shareware version that it was this revolutionary game. You got EXPERIENCE POINTS and LEVELED UP... in a first person shooter! But I didn't have a Voodoo card yet when I played it so I thought the graphics looked like ass. Those were dark days, running my Virge 2D card with no 3D...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Heres something to bring you guys back...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived