This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does everyone feel overall about gaming laptops?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does everyone feel overall about gaming laptops?

User Info: Jgurn0421

Jgurn0421
1 month ago#1
- Worth it? (being able to play current games on medium settings, etc. like COD WW2, etc)

- Am i able to upgrade parts, etc. similar to a desktop?

- Any recommendations on where to get one?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#2
Only if you intend on traveling a lot. Otherwise get a cheap laptop and build yourself a proper gaming desktop PC. Will cost the same.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Jgurn0421
1 month ago#3
Just looking to compare between this (price difference obviously) or getting a gaming desktop (im assuming the desktop will perform MUCH better, but im just looking to play current games fairly smooth over a longer stretch of time plus getting in on those steam sales. Im currently a console gamer, switching in the next few months)

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#4
Again, gaming desktop and a cheap laptop. You can use the laptop as your work computer and to use as a streaming device which offload resources from your main gaming PC so you have more power for games. I was a console gamer too, still am especially if I only use a gamepad to play on my PC.
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Jgurn0421
1 month ago#5
captsplatter_1 posted...
Only if you intend on traveling a lot. Otherwise get a cheap laptop and build yourself a proper gaming desktop PC. Will cost the same.

Nah i don't need it for work at all, im just looking to get away from console gaming and switch to PC. I don't know s*** about building a pc, so i was looking at either the laptop of a prebuilt, and i can replace parts, etc. over time then maybe get into building my own later. I just want something i know will work now

Jgurn0421
1 month ago#6
captsplatter_1 posted...
Again, gaming desktop and a cheap laptop. You can use the laptop as your work computer and to use as a streaming device which offload resources from your main gaming PC so you have more power for games.

I'll probably go with the desktop then, thanks for the info, anywhere you'd recommend for prebuilt? (Since im not building my own at first)

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#7
Jgurn0421 posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...

Nah i don't need it for work at all, im just looking to get away from console gaming and switch to PC. I don't know s*** about building a pc, so i was looking at either the laptop of a prebuilt, and i can replace parts, etc. over time then maybe get into building my own later. I just want something i know will work now

I was new too, I still went and built one myself. First time is s***, but the next time I build, it will be a piece of cake.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
1 month ago#8
Make sure you can actually open it up and be able to replace parts easily. Some don't even let you put on thermal paste without essentially breaking the case. That what happened with one "gaming laptop" I got as a gift back in 2008 because my living situation was moving between US states on a daily basis at the time, and eventually it simply auto-shut down from running anything more intensive than a flash game because it'd overheat in a few minutes. That was after 1 year of pretty regular usage.

Not all laptops are the same so I don't have a big sample size of experience and I can't say I couldn't have been much more considerate (like giving it breaks after every hour of play) with the laptop I owned, but unless you do a lot of traveling I don't think they're worth it. If you don't travel much with a computer, a desktop will be generally cheaper, more powerful, and much more modular at the same price point.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#9
Indifferent.

I have one that's around 5 years old now. Just kind of sits in my spare room unused.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
1 month ago#10
The first time might seem daunting, but it's not all that hard to build a PC. No, I won't say it's easy, because we all feel like it is after we're used to it. Just watch a video and it's hard to mess up if you're being careful. There are plenty of part lists online too. And if you -really- are uncomfortable with it, you can have someone make you a parts list with your budget and then you can ask some local computer shop or something to put the computer together for you, and that'd probably still be cheaper than getting a gaming laptop.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How does everyone feel overall about gaming laptops?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived